Ishtu, Iṣṭu: 7 definitions
Ishtu means something in Hinduism, Sanskrit. If you want to know the exact meaning, history, etymology or English translation of this term then check out the descriptions on this page. Add your comment or reference to a book if you want to contribute to this summary article.
The Sanskrit term Iṣṭu can be transliterated into English as Istu or Ishtu, using the IAST transliteration scheme (?).
Languages of India and abroad
Sanskrit dictionarySource: DDSA: The practical Sanskrit-English dictionary
Iṣṭu (इष्टु).—f. A wish, desire.
Derivable forms: iṣṭuḥ (इष्टुः).Source: Cologne Digital Sanskrit Dictionaries: Shabda-Sagara Sanskrit-English Dictionary
(-ṣṭuḥ) Desire, wish. E. iṣ to wish, tu aff.Source: Cologne Digital Sanskrit Dictionaries: Monier-Williams Sanskrit-English Dictionary
Iṣṭu (इष्टु):—[from iṣ] f. wish, desire, [cf. Lexicographers, esp. such as amarasiṃha, halāyudha, hemacandra, etc.]Source: Cologne Digital Sanskrit Dictionaries: Yates Sanskrit-English Dictionary
Iṣṭu (इष्टु):—(ṣṭuḥ) 2. f. Desire.
[Sanskrit to German]
Sanskrit, also spelled संस्कृतम् (saṃskṛtam), is an ancient language of India commonly seen as the grandmother of the Indo-European language family (even English!). Closely allied with Prakrit and Pali, Sanskrit is more exhaustive in both grammar and terms and has the most extensive collection of literature in the world, greatly surpassing its sister-languages Greek and Latin.
Kannada-English dictionarySource: Alar: Kannada-English corpus
1) [adjective] amounting to this much.
2) [adjective] small in size, amount, number or degree; not big, large or great; not much.
3) [adjective] short in duration or distance.
4) [adjective] ಇಷ್ಟಷ್ಟು [ishtashtu] iṣṭaṣṭu dupl. of ಇಷ್ಟು [ishtu]1; ಇಷ್ಟಿಷ್ಟು [ishtishtu] iṣṭiṣṭu dupl. of ಇಷ್ಟು [ishtu]1.
--- OR ---
1) [noun] this much quantity, number, capacity; etc.
2) [noun] ಇಷ್ಟರಲ್ಲಿ [ishtaralli](ಯೇ [ye]) iṣṭaralli(yē) by this time; by now; 2. shortly; soon; ere long; ಇಷ್ಟರವರೆಗೆ [ishtaravarege] iṣṭaravarege upto this point of time; 2) till recent time; ಇಷ್ಟೊಂದು [ishtomdu] iṣṭondu this much; 2. (used in exclamatory sense) oh! this much!.
--- OR ---
Iṣṭu (ಇಷ್ಟು):—[adverb] this much.
Kannada is a Dravidian language (as opposed to the Indo-European language family) mainly spoken in the southwestern region of India.
See also (Relevant definitions)
Search found 1 books and stories containing Ishtu, Iṣṭu, Istu; (plurals include: Ishtus, Iṣṭus, Istus). You can also click to the full overview containing English textual excerpts. Below are direct links for the most relevant articles: