Garudapurana, aka: Garuḍapurāṇa, Garuda-Purana; 1 Definition(s)
Garudapurana means something in Hinduism, Sanskrit. Check out some of the following descriptions and leave a comment if you want to add your own contribution to this article.
Garuḍapurāṇa (गरुडपुराण).—A mahāpurāṇa comprising 19000 ślokas.*
- * Bhāgavata-purāṇa XII. 7. 23: 13. 8: Viṣṇu-purāṇa IV. 6. 23.
about this context:
The Purāṇas (पुराण, purana) refers to Sanskrit literature preserving ancient India’s vast cultural history, including historical legends, religious ceremonies, various arts and sciences. The eighteen mahāpurāṇas total over 400,000 ślokas (metrical couplets) and date to at least several centuries BCE.
Search found 10898 related definition(s) that might help you understand this better. Below you will find the 15 most relevant articles:
The Garuḍa bird is the vehicle of Viṣṇu. It is described as half-man and half-bird, having t...
1a) Purāṇa (पुराण).—On measurement of time.** Brahmāṇḍa-purāṇa II. 21. 137.1b) Originally...
Viṣṇupurāṇa (विष्णुपुराण).—One among the eighteen Purāṇas; comprises 23,000 ślokas.** Bhā...
Vijayā (विजया) refers to “the triumphant one” and is the presiding deity of mṛdu (‘tender’), ac...
Brāhmapurāṇa (ब्राह्मपुराण).—Also Brāhmam; one of the eighteen mahāpurāṇas; comprises 10,...
Kāla (काल, “death and time”) refers to one of the fifty-six vināyakas located at Kāśī (Vārāṇasī...
Kṛṣṇa (कृष्ण) is the name of the ninth Vāsudeva according to both Śvetāmbara and Digambara sour...
Jayā (जया) refers to “the victorious one” and is the presiding deity of suśobhī (‘very brillian...
Māyā (माया).—What is meant by māyā? Deceitful disposition of the soul caused by a particular co...
Śiva (शिव) is the father of Puruṣasiṃha: the fifth Vāsudeva according to both Śvetāmbara and Di...
Agni (अग्नि, “fire”) refers to one of the devatāpañcaka (fivefold divinities), defined in the T...
Yama (यम).—Yama also called Daṇḍa and Antaka bas been mentioned fifty times in Ṛgveda and three...
Brahma (ब्रह्म) is the father of Dvipṛṣṭha: the second Vāsudeva according to both Śvetāmbara an...
Sarasvatī (सरस्वती) is worshipped above all for speech, knowledge, and music. Amongst the early...
Ṛṣabha (ऋषभ).—Illustration of the ṛṣabha-svara according to 15th century art.—The colour of the...
Search found 871 books containing Garudapurana, Garuḍapurāṇa or Garuda-Purana. You can also click to the full overview containing English textual excerpts. Below are direct links for the 20 most relevant articles:
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > 17. The Gāruḍa Purāṇa
- · The Garuda Purana > ... > Sources of the Garuda Puranam
- · The Garuda Purana > Astrology In Garuda Purana
- · The Garuda Purana > Lord Vishnu Blesses Garuda
- · The Garuda Purana > ... > Suta describes the subjects dealt with in the Garuda Puranam
- · The Brahma Purana > Garuda and Maninaga
- · The Garuda Purana > How Garuda Puran Was Propagated
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > 12. The Varāha Purāṇa
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > 1. The Brahmā Purāṇa
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > 18. The Brahmāṇḍa Purāṇa
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > 14. The Vāmana Purāṇa
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > 3. The Viṣṇu Purāṇa
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > 6. The Naradīya Purāṇa
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > 13. The Skanda Purāṇa
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > 15. The Kūrma Purāṇa
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > 10. The Brahma-vaivartta Purāṇa
- · A History of Indian Philosophy Volume 4 > ... > The Bhāgavata-purāṇa (introduction)
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > 4. The Vāyavīya Purāṇa
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > 16. The Matsya Purāṇa
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > 9. The Bhaviṣya Purāṇa
» Click here to see all 871 search results in a detailed overview.
- Was this explanation helpufll? Leave a comment:
Make this page a better place for research and define the term yourself in your own words.