Fivefold-path: 1 definition
Fivefold-path means something in Buddhism, Pali. If you want to know the exact meaning, history, etymology or English translation of this term then check out the descriptions on this page. Add your comment or reference to a book if you want to contribute to this summary article.
Mahayana (major branch of Buddhism)Source: Wisdom Library: Maha Prajnaparamita Sastra
There are also fivefold paths:
1) path of the damned (nārakamārga), path of the animals (tiryaṅmārga), path of the pretas, path of humans (manuṣyamārga) and path of the gods (devamārga);
2) paths of the five elements belonging to those who no longer practice (aśaikṣaskandhamārga), from the aśaikṣaskandha of morality (śīla) up to the aśaikṣaskandha of the cognition and vision of deliverance (vimuktijñānadarśana);
3) paths of the five kinds of Śuddhāvāsikadeva;
4) paths of the five objects of desire (kāmaguṇa);
5) five paths of words in harmony with the Dharma and five paths of words of adharma;
6) five paths: those of
- the pṛthagjanas,
- the śrāvakas,
- the pratyekabuddhas,
- the bodhisattvas
- and the Buddhas;
7) paths of the five destinies (gati)
8) paths analyzing material things (rūpa), the mind (citta), mental events (caitasika), dharmas disassociated from the mind (cittaviprayuktasaṃskāra) and the unconditioned dharmas (asaṃskṛta) respectively;
9) five paths concerning things to be destroyed (praheya) by
- the truth of suffering (duḥkhasatya),
- the truth of the origin (samudayasatya),
- the truth of cessation (nirodhasatya),
- the truth of the path (pratipatsatya)
- and meditation (bhāvanā) respectively.
There are innumerable fivefold paths of this kind.
Mahayana (महायान, mahāyāna) is a major branch of Buddhism focusing on the path of a Bodhisattva (spiritual aspirants/ enlightened beings). Extant literature is vast and primarely composed in the Sanskrit language. There are many sūtras of which some of the earliest are the various Prajñāpāramitā sūtras.
See also (Relevant definitions)
Partial matches: Path.
Search found 2 books and stories containing Fivefold-path; (plurals include: paths). You can also click to the full overview containing English textual excerpts. Below are direct links for the most relevant articles:
Maha Prajnaparamita Sastra (by Gelongma Karma Migme Chödrön)
I. Knowledge of the paths < [VI. Acquiring the knowledges of the paths and the aspects of the paths]
Chapter I - The Eight Main Types Of Thought Relating To The Sensuous Universe < [Part I - Good States Of Consciousness]