Devikā, aka: Devika; 2 Definition(s)
Devikā means something in Hinduism, Sanskrit. Check out some of the following descriptions and leave a comment if you want to add your own contribution to this article.
Devikā (देविका).—Name of a river originating from Himālaya, a holy mountains (kulaparvata) in Bhārata, according to the Varāhapurāṇa chapter 85. There are settlements (janapada) where Āryas and Mlecchas dwell who drink water from these rivers.
Bhārata is a region south of Hemādri, once ruled over by Bharata (son of Ṛṣabha), whose ancestral lineage can be traced back to Svāyambhuva Manu, who was created by Brahmā, who was in turn created by Nārāyaṇa, the unknowable all-pervasive primordial being.
The Varāhapurāṇa is categorised as a Mahāpurāṇa, and was originally composed of 24,000 metrical verses, possibly originating from before the 10th century. It is composed of two parts and Sūta is the main narrator.Source: Wisdom Library: Varāha-purāṇa
- 1) Brahmāṇḍa-purāṇa II. 16. 25; Matsya-purāṇa 22. 20; 114. 21; Vāyu-purāṇa 45. 96; 109. 17; 112. 30.
- 2) Matsya-purāṇa 133. 24.
about this context:
The Purāṇas (पुराण, purana) refers to Sanskrit literature preserving ancient India’s vast cultural history, including religious ceremonies, various arts, sciences and historical legends. The eighteen mahāpurāṇas total over 400,000 ślokas (metrical couplets) and date to at least several centuries BCE.
Search found 3 related definition(s) that might help you understand this better. Below you will find the 15 most relevant articles:
1a) Vṛṣa (वृष).—A son of Śṛnjaya and Rāṣṭrapāli.** Bhāgavata-purāṇa IX. 24. 42.1b) A son ...
1a) Nidāgha (निदाघ).—A Pravara sage.** Matsya-purāṇa 199. 17.1b) A mind-born son of Brahm...
1) Yaudheya (यौधेय).—A son of Yudhiṣṭhira by Devakī.** Matsya-purāṇa 50. 56.2) Yaudheyā (...
Search found 11 books containing Devikā or Devika. You can also click to the full overview containing English textual excerpts. Below are direct links for the 20 most relevant articles:
- · The Nilamata Purana > Verses 101-200
- · The Mahabharata - Third Book > ... > Section CCXXI
- · List of Mahabharata people and places > Starting with D
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > Bharata relates the story of Ribhu and Nidagha
- · Devi Bhagavata Purana > ... > On the Gāyatrī Stotra
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > The Story of Jadabharata
- · The Mahabharata - Third Book > ... > Section LXXXII
- · The Mahabharata - First Book > ... > Section XCV
- · The Nilamata Purana > Verses 1001-1100
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > Topographical Lists from the Mahābhārata
- · The Markandeya Purana > The Geography of Bhārata
» Click here to see all 11 search results in a detailed overview.
- Was this explanation helpufll? Leave a comment:
Make this page a better place for research and define the term yourself in your own words.