Bhutasamudra, aka: Bhūtasamudra, Bhuta-samudra; 1 Definition(s)
Bhutasamudra means something in Jainism, Prakrit. If you want to know the exact meaning, history, etymology or English translation of this term then check out the descriptions on this page. Add your comment or reference to a book if you want to contribute to this summary article.
General definition (in Jainism)
Bhūtasamudra (भूतसमुद्र) is the name of an ocean (samudra) surrouding the continent of Bhūtadvīpa (or simply Bhūta), according to Jain cosmology. The Bhūtasamudra and Bhūtadvīpa are situated in the middle-world (madhyaloka), which contains innumerable concentric continents (dvīpa), each surrounded by their own ocean. The middle-world, as opposed to the upper-world (adhaloka) and the lower-world (ūrdhvaloka), is the only world where humans can be born. Bhūtasamudra is also known as plainly Bhūta.
Bhūtasamudra is recorded in ancient Jaina canonical texts dealing with cosmology and geography of the universe. Examples of such texts are the Saṃgrahaṇīratna in the Śvetāmbara tradition or the Tiloyapannatti and the Trilokasāra in the Digambara tradition.Source: Wisdom Library: Jainism
Search found 288 related definition(s) that might help you understand this better. Below you will find the 15 most relevant articles:
Bhūta (भूत).—Bhūta means any being, sentient, insentient, or divine; creatures in general; a sp...
Mahābhūta (महाभूत) is the name of class of bhūtas according to the Digambara tradition of Jaini...
Samudra (समुद्र) is the Sanskrit name for a deity to be worshipped during raṅgapūjā, accordi...
Bhūtayajña (भूतयज्ञ):—The offering of bali to the bhūtas is called Bhūtayajña - balirb...
According to Vastu Shastra, the world comprises of the five elements known as the pancha-mah...
Bhūtaśuddhi (भूतशुद्धि) refers to the “purification of the elements” of the body...
The five Bhūtāgnis act upon the respective bhautika portions of food and thereby nourish the...
Pañcamahābhūta (पञ्चमहाभूत).—The five gross elements: earth, water, fire, air and ethe...
Bhūta, (pp. of bhavati, Vedic etc. bhūta) grown, become; born, produced; nature as the result o...
Bhūtadvīpa (भूतद्वीप) is one of the continents (dvīpa) of the middle-world (madhyaloka), encirc...
Samudra-muhūrta (समुद्र-मुहूर्त):—Name for a specific portion or phase of the day, use...
Sūryavarāvabhāsasamudra (सूर्यवरावभाससमुद्र) is the name of an ocean (samudra) surrouding the c...
Ratnāvalivarāvabhāsasamudra (रत्नावलिवरावभाससमुद्र) is the name of an ocean (samudra) surroudin...
Śaṅkhavarasamudra (शङ्खवरसमुद्र) is the name of an ocean (samudra) surrouding the continent of ...
Rucakasamudra (रुचकसमुद्र) is the name of an ocean (samudra) surrouding the continent of Rucaka...
Search found 241 books containing Bhutasamudra, Bhūtasamudra or Bhuta-samudra. You can also click to the full overview containing English textual excerpts. Below are direct links for the 20 most relevant articles:
- · Devi Bhagavata Purana > ... > On Bhūta Śuddhi
- · Sushruta Samhita, Volume 6: Uttara-tantra > Bhuta-vidya-tantra (psychology and psychiatry)
- · Śrī Sanatkumara-saṃhita > Text 125
- · Brihad Bhagavatamrita > ... > Verse 2.6.71
- · Brihad Bhagavatamrita > ... > Verse 2.6.361
- · Manusmriti with the Commentary of Medhatithi > ... > Verse 4.32
- · Brihad Bhagavatamrita > ... > Verse 2.4.190
- · Brihad Bhagavatamrita > ... > Verse 2.7.3
- · Brihad Bhagavatamrita > ... > Verse 2.4.49
- · Village Folk-tales of Ceylon Volume 1 > ... > Concerning A Man And Two Yakās
- · Vedānta-sūtras Part II > ... > II, 3, 44
- · Village Folk-tales of Ceylon Volume 2 > ... > The Story Of The Foolish Leopard
- · The Katha Upanishad with Shankara’s Commentary > ... > Verse 1.3.10
- · Patthana Dhamma > Annamanna Paccayo
- · The Mundaka Upanishad with Shankara’s Commentary > ... > Verse 2.1.9
- · Things as They Are > Introduction
- · Patthana Dhamma > Nissaya Paccayo
- · Devi Bhagavata Purana > ... > On the narration of the family of Priyavrata
- · List of Mahabharata people and places > Starting with L
- · The Garuda Purana > ... > Mode of worshipping, the Panchavaktra (fivefaced) manifestation of Śiva
» Click here to see all 241 search results in a detailed overview.
- Was this explanation helpufll? Leave a comment:
Make this page a better place for research and define the term yourself in your own words.