Bhargavi, Bhārgavī: 3 definitions
Bhargavi means something in Hinduism, Sanskrit. If you want to know the exact meaning, history, etymology or English translation of this term then check out the descriptions on this page. Add your comment or reference to a book if you want to contribute to this summary article.
Languages of India and abroad
Sanskrit dictionarySource: DDSA: The practical Sanskrit-English dictionary
1) The Dūrvā grass.
2) An epithet of Lakṣmī.
3) Of Pārvatī.
4) Of Devayānī; सर्वत्र सङ्ग- मुत्सृज्य स्वप्नौपम्येन भार्गवी (sarvatra saṅga- mutsṛjya svapnaupamyena bhārgavī) Bhāg.9.19.28.Source: Cologne Digital Sanskrit Dictionaries: Monier-Williams Sanskrit-English Dictionary
1) Bhārgavī (भार्गवी):—[from bhārgava] f. a female descendant of Bhṛgu, [Pāṇini 2-4, 65]
2) [v.s. ...] Bhargava’s id est. Śukra’s daughter, [Rāmāyaṇa]
3) [v.s. ...] Name of Deva-yānī f., [Mahābhārata; Bhāgavata-purāṇa]
4) [v.s. ...] of Lakṣmī, [cf. Lexicographers, esp. such as amarasiṃha, halāyudha, hemacandra, etc.]
5) [v.s. ...] of Pārvatī, [cf. Lexicographers, esp. such as amarasiṃha, halāyudha, hemacandra, etc.]
6) [v.s. ...] Panicum Dactylon and another species, [cf. Lexicographers, esp. such as amarasiṃha, halāyudha, hemacandra, etc.]
Sanskrit, also spelled संस्कृतम् (saṃskṛtam), is an ancient language of India commonly seen as the grandmother of the Indo-European language family (even English!). Closely allied with Prakrit and Pali, Sanskrit is more exhaustive in both grammar and terms and has the most extensive collection of literature in the world, greatly surpassing its sister-languages Greek and Latin.
Kannada-English dictionarySource: Alar: Kannada-English corpus
1) [noun] Lakṣmi, the Goddess of Wealth.
2) [noun] Pārvati, the wife of Śiva.
3) [noun] (in gen.) grass or a blade of grass.
Kannada is a Dravidian language (as opposed to the Indo-European language family) mainly spoken in the southwestern region of India.
See also (Relevant definitions)
Search found 8 books and stories containing Bhargavi, Bhārgavī, Bhārgavi; (plurals include: Bhargavis, Bhārgavīs, Bhārgavis). You can also click to the full overview containing English textual excerpts. Below are direct links for the most relevant articles:
Woman < [April 1956]
Woman < [April 1956]
Book Reviews < [July – September, 2000]
The Agni Purana (by N. Gangadharan)
Puranic encyclopaedia (by Vettam Mani)
The Devi Bhagavata Purana (by Swami Vijñanananda)
The Skanda Purana (by G. V. Tagare)
Chapter 194 - The Marriage of Śrīpati < [Section 3 - Revā-khaṇḍa]
Chapter 12 - Description of the Holy Place Ekāmravana (Bhuvaneśvara) < [Section 2 - Puruṣottama-kṣetra-māhātmya]