Bhanuman, Bhānumān, Bhānuman: 3 definitions
Bhanuman means something in Hinduism, Sanskrit. If you want to know the exact meaning, history, etymology or English translation of this term then check out the descriptions on this page. Add your comment or reference to a book if you want to contribute to this summary article.
Purana and Itihasa (epic history)Source: Wisdom Library: Bhagavata Purana
1) Bhānumān (भानुमान्):—Son of Bṛhadaśva (son of Sahadeva). He will be born in the future and become a king. He will have a son called Pratīkāśva. (see Bhāgavata Purāṇa 9.12.11)
2) Bhānumān (भानुमान्):—Son of Keśidhvaja (son of Kṛtadhvaja). He had a son named Śatadyumna. (see Bhāgavata Purāṇa 9.13.20-21)Source: archive.org: Puranic Encyclopedia
1) Bhānumān (भानुमान्).—A king of the dynasty of Śrī Rāma. He was the father of a King called Śakradyumna. (Navama Skanda, Bhāgavata).
2) Bhānumān (भानुमान्).—A son born to Kṛṣṇa of Satyabhāmā. (Daśama Skandha, Bhāgvata).
3) Bhānumān (भानुमान्).—A prince of Kaliṅga. He fought on the side of the Kauravas and was killed by Bhīmasena. (Chapter 54, Bhīṣma Parva, Mahābhārata)Source: Cologne Digital Sanskrit Dictionaries: The Purana Index
1a) Bhānuman (भानुमन्).—The son of Bṛhadaśva and father of Pratīkāśva.*
- * Bhāgavata-purāṇa IX. 12. 11.
1c) A son of Bharga and father of Tribhānu.*
- * Bhāgavata-purāṇa IX. 23. 16-17.
1d) A son of Kṛṣṇa and Satyabhāmā.*
- * Bhāgavata-purāṇa X. 61. 10.
1e) A son of Sīradhvaja Maithila; his brother Kuśadhvaja, lord of Kāśi.*
- * Vāyu-purāṇa 89. 18. Viṣṇu-purāṇa IV. 5. 30.
The Purana (पुराण, purāṇas) refers to Sanskrit literature preserving ancient India’s vast cultural history, including historical legends, religious ceremonies, various arts and sciences. The eighteen mahapuranas total over 400,000 shlokas (metrical couplets) and date to at least several centuries BCE.
See also (Relevant definitions)
Search found 5 books and stories containing Bhanuman, Bhānumān, Bhānuman; (plurals include: Bhanumans, Bhānumāns, Bhānumans). You can also click to the full overview containing English textual excerpts. Below are direct links for the most relevant articles:
The Bhagavata Purana (by A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada)
Chapter 12 - The Dynasty of Kusa, the Son of Lord Ramacandra < [Canto IX - Liberation]
Chapter 23 - The Dynasties of the Sons of Yayati < [Canto IX - Liberation]
Chapter 13 - The Dynasty of Maharaja Nimi < [Canto IX - Liberation]
The Brahmanda Purana (by G.V. Tagare)
Chapter 64 - The description of Nimi dynasty (vaṃśa) < [Section 3 - Upodghāta-pāda]
The Garuda Purana (by Manmatha Nath Dutt)
Chapter CXXXVIII - Genealogy of royal princes (solar race) < [Brihaspati (Nitisara) Samhita]
The Skanda Purana (by G. V. Tagare)
The Mahabharata (English) (by Kisari Mohan Ganguli)