Assa Sutta, 2 Definition(s)
Once Assa, the Jockey (assaroha) of Rajagaha came to the Buddha to ask if it were true that a horse trainer, if he exerted himself in the performance of his duties, would be born among the Saranjita devas? The Buddha tells him that such a view is a perverted one and that its result is rebirth either in purgatory or as an animal. Assa expresses his consternation and declares himself thenceforth a follower of the Buddha. S.iv.310.
1) Sutta, 2 (nt.) (Vedic sūtra, fr. sīv to sew) 1. a thread, string D. I, 76; II, 13; Vin. II...
Kāḷa-sutta a black thread or wire, a carpenter’s measuring line J. II, 405; Miln. 413...
The Maṅgala Sutta is found in the Suttanipāta. An excellent translation by Venerable Dr ­...
Metta, (adj. nt.) (cp. Vedic maitra “belonging to Mitra”; Epic Sk. maitra “friendly, ” fr. mit...
1) Assa, 5 3. sg. Pot. of asmi (see atthi). (Page 90)2) Assa, 4 is Gen. Dat. sg. of ayaṃ, this....
yuganaddha : (adj.) congruous; harmonious; connected to a yoke.
Deva, (Ved. deva, Idg. *deịā to shine (see dibba & diva), orig. adj. *deiǔos belonging to the s...
1) Ratana, 2 (most likely=Sk. aratni: see ratani) a linear measure (which Abhp p. 23 gives as e...
Bhikkhu, (cp. later Sk. bhikṣu, fr. bhikṣ) an almsman, a mendicant, a Buddhist monk or priest, ...
Samādhi, (fr. saṃ+ā+dhā) 1. concentration; a concentrated, self-collected, intent state of min...
Saññā, (f.) (fr. saṃ+jñā) (pl. saññāyo and saññā — e.g. M. I, 108) 1. sense, consciousness, per...
Dukkha, (adj.-n.) (Sk. duḥkha fr. duḥ-ka, an adj. formation fr. prefix duḥ (see du). According ...
Appamāda, (a + pamāda) thoughtfulness, carefulness, conscientiousness, watchfulness, vigilance,...
Ānanda, (Vedic ānanda, fr. ā + nand, cp. BSk. ānandī joy Divy 37) joy, pleasure, bliss, delight...
Sīla, (nt.) (cp. Sk. śīla. It is interesting to note that the Dhtp puts down a root sīl in mean...
- · Advice To Rāhula > Rāhula Sutta
- · The Vipassana Dipani > Nakhasikha Sutta
- · Metta > The Background To The Metta Sutta
- · The Life of Sariputta > ... > Cunda Sutta
- · The Vipassana Dipani > Kanakacchapa-sutta
- · The Buddha and His Teachings > Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
- · The Samaññaphala Sutta > Samaññaphala Sutta
- · The Dawn of the Dhamma > The Sutta
- · Transcendental Dependent Arising > Upanisa Sutta
- · The Madhura Sutta > The Madhura Sutta
- · The Life of Sariputta > ... > Ukkacela Sutta
- · Transcendental Dependent Arising > An Exposition Of The Upanisa Sutta
- · Metta > The Karaniya Metta Sutta
- · The Brahmajāla Sutta > Introduction to the Brahma-Jāla Sutta
- · The Life of Sariputta > ... > Majjhima Nikaya
- · The Book of Protection > ... > Discourse On Loving-kindness
- · The Book of Protection > ... > Discourse On Downfall
- · The Book of Protection > ... > The Jewel Discourse
- · The Doctrine of Paticcasamuppada > Sakkayaditthi & How It Arises
- · The Book of Protection > ... > Discourse To Girimananda Thera
» Click here to see all 485 search results in a detailed overview.
- Was this explanation helpufll? Leave a comment:
Make this page a better place for research and define the term yourself in your own words.