Aghorabhairavamurti, aka: Aghora-bhairava-murti, Aghorabhairavamūrti; 1 Definition(s)
Aghorabhairavamurti means something in Hinduism, Sanskrit. Check out some of the following descriptions and leave a comment if you want to add your own contribution to this article.
Aghorabhairavamūrti (अघोरभैरवमूर्ति).—Another aspect of Śiva, annihilating the demon of darkness, is the form of Aghorabhairavamūrti. It is a popular representation in a different way. The way, the theme is represented here is interesting. Śiva is standing on the dwarf-demon holding a shield and a sword. Śiva is piercing the head of the demon with his triśūla i.e. suggesting the expelling of ajñāna (ignorance) from the head. Śiva is eight handed. He holds in his hands, weapons and attributes like, khaḍga, kheṭaka, mṛga, dhanus and bāṇa. The ferocity of the face of Śiva is enhanced by his up-curled mustaches. It is a forceful, dynamic form of Śiva full of action.Source: Shodhganga: Temples of Salem region Up to 1336 AD
about this context:
Vāstuśāstra (वास्तुशास्त्र, vastu-shastra) refers to the knowledge of architecture. It is a branch of ancient Indian science dealing with topics such architecture, construction, sculpture and their relation with the cosmic universe.
Search found 272 related definition(s) that might help you understand this better. Below you will find the 15 most relevant articles:
Aghora (अघोर).—The form of Maheśvara in the 32nd kalpa, all black.** Vāyu-purāṇa 23. 29, ...
Bhairava (भैरव).—Kṣemarāja in his Udyota commentary gives a description of the esoteric meaning...
Dakṣiṇāmūrti (दक्षिणामूर्ति) is a form of Śiva, which is found invariability in almost all t...
1a) Mūrti (मूर्ति).—A sage of the epoch of the Tenth Manu.** Bhāgavata-purāṇa VIII. 13. 2...
Umāsahitamūrti (उमासहितमूर्ति) carved attached to the shaft of a bhadraka pillar, is a life siz...
Bhikṣāṭaṇamūrti (भिक्षाटणमूर्ति).—It is a sculpture of three feet height. It has got eight hand...
Kaṅkālamūrti (कङ्कालमूर्ति).—The Lord who bears the kaṅkāladaṇḍa is known as kaṅkālamū...
Sukhāsanamūrti (सुखासनमूर्ति).—(according to the Śilparatna), the image of Sukhāsanamū...
Vijñānabhairava (विज्ञानभैरव) is a very ancient book on Yoga. It closely follows the basic prin...
Mūrtyaṣṭaka (मूर्त्यष्टक):—The eight embodiments (mūrtyaṣṭaka or mūrtyaṣṭau) are ident...
Kevalamūrti (केवलमूर्ति).—The first variety of Candraśekharamūrti;—The Aṃśumadbh...
Āliṅganamūrti (आलिङ्गनमूर्ति).—The third variety of Candraśekharamūrti;—In this ...
Umāmaheśvaramūrti (उमामहेश्वरमूर्ति).—The Viṣṇudharmottara and the Rūpamaṇḍana give th...
Viṣṇumūrti (विष्णुमूर्ति) refers to “images of Viṣṇu”.The term is used throughou...
Liṅgodbhavamūrti (लिङ्गोद्भवमूर्ति).—This form represents Śiva inside an oval recess in the cen...
Search found 152 books containing Aghorabhairavamurti, Aghora-bhairava-murti or Aghorabhairavamūrti. You can also click to the full overview containing English textual excerpts. Below are direct links for the 20 most relevant articles:
- · The Garuda Purana > ... > The Tripura Vidya
- · Brihad Bhagavatamrita > ... > Verse 2.3.25
- · Brihad Bhagavatamrita > ... > Verse 2.3.70
- · A History of Indian Philosophy Volume 5 > ... > Vātulāgama
- · Early Chola Temples > ... > Muktesvaram
- · The Garuda Purana > ... > Mode of worshipping, the Panchavaktra (fivefaced) manifestation of Śiva
- · Devi Bhagavata Purana > ... > On the greatness of the Rudrākṣam
- · Brihad Bhagavatamrita > ... > Verse 2.2.150-151
- · The Garuda Purana > ... > Maheshvara worship
- · Devi Bhagavata Purana > ... > On the description of the greatness of the three kinds of Bhaṣmas
- · Brihad Bhagavatamrita > ... > Verse 1.4.50
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > 15. The Kūrma Purāṇa
- · Later Chola Temples > ... > Temples in Tidaavur (Tadavur)
- · The Garuda Purana > ... > Mantra-cures (curative formulas) of snakebite as narrated by Śiva
- · Early Chola Temples > ... > Temples in Gramam (36th year)
- · Devi Bhagavata Purana > ... > On the checking of the rise of the Bindhya Range
- · Maha Kassapa > Read Contents
- · Vedānta-sūtras Part I > ... > II, 2, 16
- · Hiraṇyakeśin-gṛhya-sūtra > Praśna I, Paṭala 2, Section 6
- · Devi Bhagavata Purana > ... > On the greatness of one faced, etc., Rudrākṣam
» Click here to see all 152 search results in a detailed overview.
- Was this explanation helpufll? Leave a comment:
Make this page a better place for research and define the term yourself in your own words.