Acchad, Ācchad: 4 definitions
Acchad means something in Hinduism, Sanskrit. If you want to know the exact meaning, history, etymology or English translation of this term then check out the descriptions on this page. Add your comment or reference to a book if you want to contribute to this summary article.
Alternative spellings of this word include Achchhad.
Languages of India and abroad
Sanskrit dictionarySource: DDSA: The practical Sanskrit-English dictionary
Ācchad (आच्छद्).—1 P.
1) To cover (in general); नाच्छादयति कौपीनम् (nācchādayati kaupīnam) Pañcatantra (Bombay) 3.97.
2) To hide; भानोराच्छादयत्प्रभाम् (bhānorācchādayatprabhām) Mb.
3) To clothe, dress, put on clothes; Manusmṛti 3.27; अनेन वाससाच्छन्नः (anena vāsasācchannaḥ) Mb. वस्त्रम्, प्रावारान् (vastram, prāvārān) &c. आच्छादयति (ācchādayati) &c.
--- OR ---
Ācchad (आच्छद्).—f. Ved.
1) A cover, covering. आस्थद् दृष्टेराच्छदम् (āsthad dṛṣṭerācchadam) Śiśupālavadha 18.3.
2) A sheath; °विधानम् (vidhānam) an arrangement made for defence, a means for covering.Source: Cologne Digital Sanskrit Dictionaries: Monier-Williams Sanskrit-English Dictionary
1) Ācchad (आच्छद्):—[=ā-cchad] 1. ā-cchad (√chad), -cchādayati to cover, hide, [Mahābhārata; Rāmāyaṇa] etc.;
—to clothe, dress, [Kauśika-sūtra; Gobhila-śrāddha-kalpa];
—to present with clothes, [Mahābhārata; Manu-smṛti] etc.: [Parasmaipada] [Ātmanepada] to put on (as clothes), [Śāṅkhāyana-gṛhya-sūtra] etc., [Mahābhārata; Rāmāyaṇa] : [Ātmanepada] to put on clothes, [Mahābhārata ii, 1736];
—to conceal, [Hitopadeśa; Sarvadarśana-saṃgraha]
2) [v.s. ...] 2. ā-cchad f. a cover, [Vājasaneyi-saṃhitā xv, 4 and 5.]
[Sanskrit to German]
Sanskrit, also spelled संस्कृतम् (saṃskṛtam), is an ancient language of India commonly seen as the grandmother of the Indo-European language family (even English!). Closely allied with Prakrit and Pali, Sanskrit is more exhaustive in both grammar and terms and has the most extensive collection of literature in the world, greatly surpassing its sister-languages Greek and Latin.
See also (Relevant definitions)
Partial matches: A.
Starts with: Acchada, Acchadaka, Acchadakatva, Acchadana, Acchadanaphala, Acchadanavastra, Acchadanem, Acchadayitva, Acchadesi, Acchadeti, Acchadhanv, Acchadikshita, Acchadin, Acchadisu, Acchadita, Acchadru, Acchadvidhana, Acchadya, Acchadyamana.
No search results for Acchad, Ācchad, A-cchad, Ā-cchad; (plurals include: Acchads, Ācchads, cchads) in any book or story.