Aṭala, aka: Atala; 3 Definition(s)
One of the Hands of The Seven Lower Worlds.–Atala: the Patāka hand twisted downwards is applicable.
Aṭala, (adj.) (cp. Sk. aṭṭa & aṭṭālaka stronghold) solid, firm, strong, only in phrase aṭaliyo upāhanā strong sandals M. II, 155 (vv. ll. paṭaliye & agaliyo) = S. I, 226 (vv. ll. āṭaliyo & āṭaliko). At the latter passage Bdhgh. expls. gaṇaṅgaṇ-ûpāhanā, Mrs. Rh. D. (Kindred Sayings I. 291) trsls. “buskined shoes＂. (Page 15)
Loka (लोक) is a Sanskrit technical term referring to the “threefold means of right kno...
Balā (बला) is the name of a mind-born ‘divine mother’ (mātṛ), created for the pu...
Bhimā (भिमा) is the name of a mind-born ‘divine mother’ (mātṛ), created for the ...
Rasātala (रसातल) refers to the “nether world”; it is a Sanskrit technical term d...
Gaṇa (गण) is a Sanskrit name referring to a group of deities, attending Maheśvara at his dwe...
Vyāhṛti (व्याहृति, “utterance, statement, speech”):—One of the names attri...
Namuci, (Np.) a name of Māra. (Page 347)
Hāṭakā (हाटका, “golden”):—One of the nine Dūtī presided over by one of the...
- · Śrīmad Devī Bhāgavatam > ... > On the narrative of the Atala, etc.
- · The Mirror of Gesture (abhinaya-darpana) > Hands denoting the Upper and Lower Worlds
- · The Garuda Purana > ... > Cosmogeny of Hell and the nether regions
- · Brihad Bhagavatamrita > ... > Verse 2.2.8-9
- · The Narada Purana > Geography
- · Śrī Syamananda-sataka > An Ocean of Glory That Fills the Three Worlds
- · Śrīmad Devī Bhāgavatam > ... > On the narrative of hells
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > Account of the Seven religions of Patala, below the earth
- · The Brahma Purana > Geography
- · Śrīmad Devī Bhāgavatam > ... > On the narrative of Rāhu Maṇḍalam
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > Some Geography
- · A History of Indian Philosophy Volume 2 > ... > Vedāntic Cosmology
- · Śrīmad Devī Bhāgavatam > ... > On the Devī’s Viraṭ Rūpa
- · The Garuda Purana > An Account of the Coming to Birth of People who have done Good
» Click here to see all 14 search results in a detailed overview.
- Was this explanation helpufll? Leave a comment:
Make this page a better place for research and define the term yourself in your own words.