Śini, aka: Shini, Sini; 5 Definition(s)
Śini means something in Hinduism, Sanskrit. Check out some of the following descriptions and leave a comment if you want to add your own contribution to this article.
The Sanskrit term Śini can be transliterated into English as Shini or Sini, using the IAST transliteration scheme (?).
1a) Śini (शिनि).—A son of Garga and father of Gārgya; hence Gārgyas and Ṣainyas are Kṣatropetadvijās.*
- * Bhāgavata-purāṇa IX. 21. 19; Viṣṇu-purāṇa IV. 19. 23.
1b) A son of Yujājit and father of Anamitra.*
- * Bhāgavata-purāṇa IX. 24. 12.
1c) A son of Anamitra and father of Satyaka.*
- * Bhāgavata-purāṇa IX. 24. 13; Matsya-purāṇa 45. 22; Viṣṇu-purāṇa IV. 14. 1-2.
1d) A son of Bhajamāna and father of Svayambhoja.*
- * Bhāgavata-purāṇa IX. 24. 26.
1e) An Angirasa and mantrakṛt.*
- * Brahmāṇḍa-purāṇa II. 32. 107.
1f) A son of Śūra and Bhojā.*
- * Matsya-purāṇa 46. 3.
about this context:
The Purāṇas (पुराण, purana) refers to Sanskrit literature preserving ancient India’s vast cultural history, including historical legends, religious ceremonies, various arts and sciences. The eighteen mahāpurāṇas total over 400,000 ślokas (metrical couplets) and date to at least several centuries BCE.
General definition (in Hinduism)
Śini (शिनि):—Son of Garga (one of the five sons of Manyu). He had a son named Gārgya. (see Bhāgavata Purāṇa 9.21.19-20)Source: Wisdom Library: Hinduism
Śini (शिनि).—The father of Sātyaki, and a king of the Yadu dynasty.Source: ISKCON Press: Glossary
Sini (सिनि): One of the suitors to Devaki's hand. A kinsman of the Kauravas.Source: WikiPedia: Hinduism
He was the Yadava warrior, who defeated Somadatta and won the hand of the princess Devaki for his friend Vasudeva. He was the grandfather of Satyaki, who was a great friend and disciple of Arjuna.Source: Apam Napat: Indian Mythology
Search found 13 related definition(s) that might help you understand this better. Below you will find the 15 most relevant articles:
Sinīvālī (सिनीवाली).—Left her consort Kardama and loved Soma with 8 other Devis; a devī a...
1) Somadatta (सोमदत्त) is the name of a Brāhman from the city of Kauśāmbī, according to the ...
Sātyaki (सात्यकि).—(also Śaineya and Yuyudhāna) a son of Satyaka;1 followed Kṛṣṇa to Hās...
1a) Gārgya (गार्ग्य).—A son of Śini. From Kṣatriyas, Brāhmaṇa lines came into being.** Bh...
1a) Garga (गर्ग).—A son of (Bhuva) Manyu and father of Śini, (Chini).** Matsya-purāṇa 49....
1) Mādri (माद्रि).—A Tripravara.** Matsya-purāṇa 196. 33.2a) Mādrī (माद्री).—See Mā...
1a) Anamitra (अनमित्र).—A son of Yudhājit. Father of Nimna, and Śini. A third son was Vṛṣ...
1a) Bhajamāna (भजमान).—(Bhajina) a son of Sātvata: had two sons by one wife and three oth...
Yuyudhāna (युयुधान).—(see Sātyaki) the grandson of Śini, and son of Satyaka, and father o...
1) Śainyā (शैन्या).—(Śaineyas): beginning with Śini and ending with Yugandhara. This is t...
1a) Svayambhoja (स्वयम्भोज).—A son of Sini, and father of Hṛdīka.** Bhāgavata-purāṇa IX. ...
Yujājit (युजाजित्).—(Yudhājit Brahmāṇḍa-purāṇa and Matsya-purāṇa) son of Mādrī and Vṛṣṇi ...
1) Śītaṃśu (शीतंशु).—A son of Atri born of his tejas in tapas; fell down on the earth lan...
Search found 18 books containing Śini, Shini or Sini. You can also click to the full overview containing English textual excerpts. Below are direct links for the 20 most relevant articles:
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > Dynasty of Anamitra and Andhaka
- · Mahabharata > ... > Satyaki Follows the Path of Arjuna
- · The Mahabharata - Third Book > ... > Section XVIII
- · The Mahabharata - Third Book > ... > Section CLXXV
- · Mahabharata > ... > The Death of Jayadratha
- · The Mahabharata - Third Book > ... > Section CXVIII
- · The Mahabharata - Second Book > ... > Section IV
- · The Mahabharata - Third Book > ... > Section CXX
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > Dynasty of Puru
- · List of Mahabharata people and places > Starting with S
- · The Garuda Purana > ... > Description of the race of puru
- · The Garuda Purana > ... > Genealogy of the princes of the lunar race
- · Mahabharata > ... > The Third Day of Rivalry at Kurukshetra; Bhishma and Arjuna Reek Havoc
- · Devi Bhagavata Purana > ... > On the description of the enclosure walls built of Padmarāga maṇi, etc., of the Maṇi Dvīpa
- · Mahabharata > ... > Bhishma Assesses the Heroes and Reveals Shikhandi's Mysterious Birth
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > An account of the sons of Satvata
- · Mahabharata > ... > The Pandavas Prepare for War
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > Contents
» Click here to see all 18 search results in a detailed overview.
- Was this explanation helpufll? Leave a comment:
Make this page a better place for research and define the term yourself in your own words.