Yogi, aka: Yogī; 9 Definition(s)
yogī : (m.) one who practices spiritual exercise.
Yogi (योगी): One who practices yoga, These designations are mostly reserved for advanced practitioners. The word "yoga" itself—from the Sanskrit root yuj ("to yoke") --is generally translated as "union" or "integration" and may be understood as union with the Divine, or integration of body, mind, and spirit.
One of the 108 names of Krishna; Meaning: "The Supreme Master"
M (The one who trains into the development of concentration). Person who practices satipatthana or meditation.
|· Yogāvacara Yogi||
'one devoted to mental training,' is in Vis.M. the usual name for the disciple c...
Sambhavopaya = Śāmbhava Upāya. (the means or path of Sambhava or SamAvesa =...
|· Śāmbhava Upāya||
Sambhavopaya = Śāmbhava Upāya. (the means or path of Sambhava or SamAvesa = I...
Once upon a time, I (Vasiṣṭha ) was in the august synod of Devendra along wit...
Prāṇāyāma (प्राणायाम) is a Sanskrit technical term referring to the “wi...
Yogin, (adj. -n.) (fr. yoga, cp. Class. Sk. yogin) 1. (-°) applying oneself (to)...
Muṣṭi (मुष्टि):—Dr Awasthi believes the word ‘muṣṭi’ refers...
If a yogi falls from his heights, it is due to his association with siddhis a...
The Nyāyakaṇḍalī (न्यायकण्डली) by Śrīdhara is a 10th century Sanskrit comment...
Sādhaka, (adj.) (fr. sādh) accomplishing, effecting J. I, 86; SnA 394, 415; Sd...
A class of Devas. The Samyutta contains (S.i.16 22) a whole group of suttas in...
|· Mahā Vedha||
From the Haṭha Yogha Pradīpikā (chapter III): “Sitting with Mahā Bandha...
In regard to Maya the following note is of great interest: ‘That the Ma...
Both Brahma and Vidya are Sanskrit words. Brahman, is the neuter gender of th...
|· Black Crown||
The Black Crown (Wylie: Zhwa nag) is an important symbol of the Karmapa, the Lam...
- · The Markandeya Purana > The Yogi’s religious course
- · The Markandeya Purana > The Yogi’s bliss
- · Yoga Vasistha Volume 1 > ... > The state of a Perfect yogi
- · Parables of Rama > ... > Hatha Yoga Samadhi
- · Vivekachudamani > Verse 359
- · A Discourse on Paticcasamuppada > ... > Relevancy Of Cause To Effect
- · A Golden Ring > Supplications
- · Vipassana Meditation > ... > Mindfulness Of Daily Activities
- · A Discourse on Paticcasamuppada > ... > Right View, Etc.
- · Śrī Hari-bhakti-kalpa-latikā > ... > Text 16
- · The Mandukya Upanishad with Gaudapada’s Karika and Shankara’s Commentary > ... > Kārikā, verse 3.41
- · Yoga Vasistha Volume 1 > ... > he Consummation of Yoga (Siddhi)
- · Vipassana Meditation > Preface
- · A Discourse on Paticcasamuppada > ... > Thoughts And Tactile Impressions
- · Vipassana Meditation Course > ... > The Five Mental Faculties
- · Vivekachudamani > Verse 370
- · A Discourse on Paticcasamuppada > ... > Knowledge For Vipassana Practice
- · Vivekachudamani > Verse 418
- · A Discourse on Paticcasamuppada > ... > Follow-up Vithi
- · Vivekachudamani > Verse 303
» Click here to see all 323 search results in a detailed overview.
- Was this explanation helpufll? Leave a comment:
Make this page a better place for research and define the term yourself in your own words.