Vatta, aka: Vaṭṭa; 5 Definition(s)
vatta : (nt.) duty; service; function. || vaṭṭa (adj.), circular; round. (nt.), a circle; the cycle of rebirth; an expenditure or provision for alms.
2. 'round of rebirths'.
(1) With reference to the dependent origination (paticcasamuppāda), Vis.M. XVII speaks of 3 rounds:
the karma round (kamma-vatta) comprising the karma-formations and the karma process (2nd and 10th links);
the round of defilements (kilesa-vatta) comprising ignorance, craving and clinging (1st, 8th and 9th links);
the round of results (vipāka-vatta) comprising consciousness, mind and corporeality, 6 bases, impression, feeling (3rd-7th links).
Cf. paticcasamuppāda (diagram).
(2) round of rebirth = samsāra.
N Fact to move from one existence to the next. Continuous suffering of sansara.
Dānavaṭṭa—alms J.VI, 333;
1) Vatta, 4 at J. V, 443 is corrupt for vaṇṭha cripple. (Page 598) 2) Vatta, 3 (vyatta, Sk. vyā...
'karma-round'; s. vatta.
Loka (लोक) is a Sanskrit technical term referring to the “threefold means of right kno...
Vivaṭṭa, (m. & nt.) (vi+vaṭṭa1) 1. “rolling back, ” with ref. to the development of the world (...
Nāga (नाग) appears once in the Śatapatha-brāhmaṇa (xi. 2, 7, 12) in the form mahānāga, where...
Mara, (adj.) (fr. mṛ) dying; only neg. amara not dying, immortal, in phrase ajarāmara free fro...
Vaṭa (वट) is a Sanskrit word, identified with Ficus bengalensis (banyan) by various scholars...
Śīla (discipline or morality) is called innate goodness. Wholeheartedly following the good P...
saṃsāra : (m.) faring on; transmigration.
Nibbāna, (nt.).—I. Etymology. Although nir+vā “to blow”. (cp. BSk. nirvāṇa...
Ariya, (adj. -n.) (Vedic ārya, of uncertain etym. The other Pāli forms are ayira & ayya) 1. (ra...
Upādhi (उपाधि) is a Sanskrit technical term, used in law, referring to “fraud”. ...
1) Bodhi, 2 (=bodhi1) the tree of wisdom, the sacred Bo tree, the fig tree (Assattha, Ficus rel...
Bhūmaka, (& °ika) (adj.) (only —°) (from bhūma, or bhūmi) 1. having floors or stories (of build...
- · The Jataka, Volume II > ... > No. 203. Khandha-Vatta-Jātaka
- · The Doctrine of Paticcasamuppada > What Is Paticcasamuppada?
- · The Doctrine of Paticcasamuppada > How To Dismantle And Break The Spokes, Hub, Axis, Wheel Rod And Rim
- · A Discourse on Paticcasamuppada > ... > Present Effect Due To Past Cause
- · Practicing Insight on Your Own > ... > The Mode Of Action To Stand Above Kilesa And Kamma
- · The Doctrine of Paticcasamuppada > Sections, Links, Factors And Periods
- · The Doctrine of Paticcasamuppada > Khandha Paticcasamuppada
- · A Discourse on Paticcasamuppada > ... > Contemplation And Extinction
- · A Discourse on Paticcasamuppada > ... > Conclusion
- · A Short History of Lanka > Codrington's Note
- · The Book of Protection > Preface
- · The Doctrine of Paticcasamuppada > Paticcasamuppada Samsara Is Revolving All The Time
- · Straight from the Heart > Glossary
- · Practicing Insight on Your Own > Introduction
- · A Discourse on Paticcasamuppada > ... > The Story Of Mahadhammika Upasaka
- · What Is Contemplation? > Read Content
- · Things as They Are > Glossary
- · Abhidhamma In Daily Life > ... > Bhávaná
- · Buddha Desana > ... > Links In Reverse Order
- · The Catusacca Dipani > The Four Interpretations Of Magga-sacca
» Click here to see all 43 search results in a detailed overview.
- Was this explanation helpufll? Leave a comment:
Make this page a better place for research and define the term yourself in your own words.