Trishanku, aka: Triśaṅku; 2 Definition(s)
Trishanku was a King in the Solar dynasty, the son of Prithu. His original name was Satyavrata. His son was Dhundumara. Satyavrata committed three sins, and hence he got the name Trishanku. First, while a prince, he misbehaved in the kingdom and was temporarily exiled. Next, he killed the milch cow of his perceptor Vasishta. His third sin was that he used the unsanctified meat of his kill as food.
He wished to ascend to heaven in his mortal body, and asked his perceptor Vasishta to do the needful rights. Vasishta refused, for it was against the laws of nature. He then approached the sons of Vasishta. They were angry that the King had asked them, deeming it an insult to their father, so the cursed the King to become afflicted with a debilitating disease.
The son of Tribandhana was Satyavrata, who is celebrated by the name Triśaṅku...
Once Hariścandra performed a yajña for which Viśvāmitra was the priest, but V...
Rohita (रोहित) also means bestower of speech. It is said that letters origina...
Pṛthu (पृथु):—Son of Anenā (son of Purañjaya). He had a son named Viśva...
- · The Brahma Purana > Trishanku
- · Śrīmad Devī Bhāgavatam > ... > On the going to Heavens of Triśanku and the commencement of Hariśchandra’s narrative
- · Śrīmad Devī Bhāgavatam > ... > On the coming of Viśvāmitra to Triśanku
- · Śrīmad Devī Bhāgavatam > ... > On the description of Vaśistha’s curse on Triśanku
- · Śrīmad Devī Bhāgavatam > ... > On the story of Triśanku
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > Chapter III
- · The Mahabharata - First Book > ... > Section LXXI
- · The Taittiriya Upanishad > ... > The Illumination
- · Yoga Vasistha Volume 2, Part II > ... > Story of Bhārgava
- · The Garuda Purana > ... > Genealogy of royal princes (solar race)
- · The Brahma Purana > Sagara
- · Śrīmad Devī Bhāgavatam > ... > On the story of Śunahśepha
- · Śrīmad Devī Bhāgavatam > ... > On the story of Satyavrata
- · Śrīmad Devī Bhāgavatam > ... > On the taking away of Hariśchandra’s Kingdom
- · Manusmriti with the Commentary of Medhatithi > ... > Verse 2.24
- · Mahabharata > ... > Maya Danava Erects the Imperial Court
- · Śrīmad Devī Bhāgavatam > ... > On the account of Bhrāmarī Devī
- · Buddhacarita > ... > Acceptance of the Jetavana Pure Abode
- · Śrīmad Devī Bhāgavatam > ... > On the cause of the war between Ādi and Baka
- · Kathasaritsagara (the Ocean of Story) > ... > Chapter XXVIII
» Click here to see all 25 search results in a detailed overview.
- Was this explanation helpufll? Leave a comment:
Make this page a better place for research and define the term yourself in your own words.