- BEST RATED DEFINITION:
Sutta (Skt. sutra): Lit.: "thread"; A discourse or sermon by the Buddha or his contemporary disciples. After the Buddhas death the suttas were passed down in the Pali language according to a well established oral tradition, and were finally committed to written form in Sri Lanka around 100 BCE. More than 10,000 suttas are collected in the Sutta Pitaka, one of the principal bodies of scriptural literature in Theravada Buddhism. The Pali Suttas are widely regarded as the earliest record of the Buddhas teachings.
Literally, "thread"; a discourse or sermon by the Buddha or his contemporary disciples. After the Buddhas death the suttas were passed down in the Pali language according to a well established oral tradition, and were finally committed to written form in Sri Lanka around 100 BCE. Over 10,000 suttas are collected in the Sutta Pitaka, one of the principal bodies of scriptural literature in Theravada Buddhism. The Pali Suttas are widely regarded as the earliest record of the Buddhas teachings.
One of the nine divisions of the Tipitaka, according to matter (anga). DA.i.23; Gv.57, etc.
N (Thread, Word that explains the meaning). Word of the Buddha reported by the Venerable Ananda and presented in the form of discourses dealing with the various aspects of this teaching.
The suttas often come into a metaphoric shape and answer all questions regarding life and the way to live it.
The Pali term Sutta means: that which is heard.
scripture; recorded teaching of the Buddha.
Sutta is equivalent to the Sanskrit word Sûtra, literally a thread, which signifies among the Brahmans a brief rule or aphorism but in Pali a relatively short poem or narrative dealing with a single object. The Sutta Pitaka is divided into five collections called Nikâyas. The first four are mainly in prose and contain discourses attributed to Gotama or his disciples. The fifth is mostly in verse and more miscellaneous.
- FIND THE MEANING OF THIS ITEM IN OTHER TEXT:Search found: 2316 related definition(s) for 'Sutta'.
Below are the 15 most popular ones:
|· Vajjiputta Sutta||
1. Contains the story of the discontent of Vajjiputta (1). S.i.201f. 2. Vesali ...
|· Mangala Sutta||
Preached at Jetavana in answer to a question asked by a deva as to which are t...
|· Metta Sutta||
Buddhist scripture which describes the nature of loving kindness.
|· Bhikkhu Sutta||
1. Bhikkhu Sutta. A monk who knows decay and death, birth, becoming, grasping...
|· Ratana Sutta||
1. Ratana Sutta One of the suttas of the Khuddakapatha. It is also included in ...
|· Sanna Sutta||
1. Sanna Sutta. The thought of foulness, death, peril, cloying of food, distas...
|· Samadhi Sutta||
1. Samadhi Sutta. One who is concentrated is one who knows as it really is the...
|· Satipatthana Sutta||
The Discourse on the Basis of Mindfulness, a fundamental Buddhist scripture desc...
|· Anicca Sutta||
1. Anicca Sutta (see also Yadanicca Sutta) - Preached at Savatthi; all khandhas ...
|· Appamada Sutta||
1. Appamada Sutta (2) - Preached to Pasenadi. Diligence is the one quality that ...
|· Ananda Sutta||
1. Ananda Sutta - Preached by Ananda to Vangisa. Once as they were going togethe...
|· Khaggavisana Sutta||
The third sutta of the Uraga Vagga of the Sutta Nipata (SN.vv.35-75), consisti...
|· Tanha Sutta||
1. Tanha Sutta - On the one hundred and eight thoughts of craving - thirty six...
|· Samanabrahmana Sutta||
1. Samanabrahmana Sutta. Recluses and brahmins who know decay and death, its u...
|· Sila Sutta||
1. Sila Sutta. The Buddha exhorts the monks to live perfect in virtue; then wi...
Below are the most relevant:
|· Advice To Rāhula > Rāhula Sutta||Buddhism|
|· The Vipassana Dipani > Nakhasikha Sutta||Buddhism|
|· Metta > The Background To The Metta Sutta||Buddhism|
|· The Life of Sariputta > ... > Cunda Sutta||Buddhism|
|· The Vipassana Dipani > Kanakacchapa-sutta||Buddhism|
|· The Samaññaphala Sutta > Samaññaphala Sutta||Buddhism|
|· The Dawn of the Dhamma > The Sutta||Buddhism|
|· Transcendental Dependent Arising > Upanisa Sutta||Buddhism|
|· The Life of Sariputta > ... > Ukkacela Sutta||Buddhism|
|· The Madhura Sutta > The Madhura Sutta||Buddhism|
|· Transcendental Dependent Arising > An Exposition Of The Upanisa Sutta||Buddhism|
|· Metta > The Karaniya Metta Sutta||Buddhism|
|· The Brahmajāla Sutta > Introduction to the Brahma-Jāla Sutta||Buddhism|
|· The Life of Sariputta > ... > Majjhima Nikaya||Buddhism|
|· The Book of Protection > ... > Discourse On Loving-kindness||Buddhism|
» Click here to see all 463 search results in a detailed overview.