Sumedha, 3 Definition(s)
One of the 108 names of Krishna; Meaning: "Intelligent Lord"
1. Sumedha. The Bodhisatta in the time of Dipankara Buddha. He was a very rich brahmin of Amaravati, and, having left the world, became an ascetic of great power in the Himalaya. While on a visit to Rammma nagara, he saw people decorating the road for Dipankara Buddha, and undertook to do one portion of the road himself. The Buddha arrived before his work was finished, and Sumedha lay down on a rut for the Buddha to walk over him. He resolved that he, too, would become a Buddha, and Dipankara, looking into the future, saw that his wish would come true. This was the beginning of Gotama Buddhas qualification for Enlightenment. J.i.2ff.; DhA.i.68; Bu.ii.5ff.; SNA.i.49; in Chinese Records he is called Megha. The Dvy. (p.247) calls him Sumati.
2. Sumedha. A khattiya, father of Dipankara Buddha. J.i.29; Bu.ii.207.
3. Sumedha. A khattiya, father of Narada Buddha. J.i.37; but Bu.x.18 calls him Sudeva.
4. Sumedha. The eleventh of the twenty four Buddhas.He was born in Sudassana, his father being the khattiya Sudatta and his mother Sudatta. He lived in the household for nine thousand years, in three palaces, Sucanda, Kancana (Konca) and Sirivaddha, his wife being Sumana and his son Sumitta (Punabbasumitta). He left home on an elephant, practised austerities for eight months, was given a meal of milk rice by Nakula, and grass for his seat by the Ajivaka Sirivaddha. He obtained Enlightenment under a mahanimba(mahanipa)-tree. His body was eighty eight cubits in height. His chief disciples were Sarana and Sabbakama among monks and Rama and Surama among women. Sagara was his personal attendant. His chief lay patrons were Uruvela and Yasava among men, and Yasodhara and Sirima among women. He preached his first sermon at Sudassana, to his younger brothers. The Bodhisatta was the ascetic, Uttara. Sumedha lived for ninety thousand years and died in Medharama. His relics were scattered. Bu.xii.??; BuA.163f.
5. Sumedha. The name of a brahmin family in the time of Tissa Buddha. Varana Thera was born in the family. ThagA.i.353.
6. Sumedha. An upatthaka of Sumedha Buddha, whom Pilindavaccha met at that time. Ap.i.59; but see Bu.xii.23, where Sumedhas upatthaka is called Sagara. Perhaps this refers to another.
7. Sumedha. A king of twenty kappas ago, a previous birth of Avopphiya Thera. Ap.i.112.
8. Sumedha. A king of seven kappas ago, a previous birth of Padasannaka Thera. Ap.i.119.
9. Sumedha. An Elder of Ceylon, at whose request Buddhanaga wrote the Vinayatthamanjusa. P.L.C. 201.
10. Sumedha. A Thera of Cutaggama, probably of the fourteenth century; author of the Sadhucaritodaya and the Anapattidipani. P.L.C.247.
-- or --
1. Sumedha Theri. She was the daughter of King Konca of Mantavati.
|· Suruci Jataka||
There once reigned in Mithila a king, named Suruci. He had a son also called S...
First and most popular of the many Buddhas who preceded Gautama. See Buddhas of ...
1. Sudatta. One of the eight brahminis who was called in to examine the signs at...
Ruler of Varanavati. He came to Mantavati as a suitor for the hand of Sumedha, b...
1. Sirivaddha. The name of Maha Moggallana (q.v.) in the time of Anomadassi Bu...
The name given to one who rediscovers for himself the liberating path of Dhamma,...
He was the son of King Bimbisaras chaplain and, having seen the might of the Bud...
1. Sumitta. An Ajivaka who gave grass for his seat to Padumuttara Buddha. BuA....
1. Sarana. One Of the two chief disciples (J.i..34; Bu.v.26) and also step broth...
1. Megha. A youth in the time of Dipankara Buddha. Hearing the Buddha prophesy...
Thera. An arahant. Ninety two kappas ago he happened upon the footprint of Tissa...
1. Valliya Thera. He was the son of a Malla chieftain of Pava and joined the O...
|· Pilinda Vaccha||
He was a brahmin of Savatthi, born before the Buddhas Enlightenment. Pilinda w...
A city, the birthplace of Sumedha Theri, its chieftain being Konca. Thig.vs.448;...
1. Amaravati - Also called Amara. A city in the time of Dipankara Buddha. Sume...
- · Guide to Tipitaka > ... > Buddhavarfnsa Pali
- · Guide to Tipitaka > ... > Apadana Pali
- · Guide to Tipitaka > ... > Cariya Pitaka
- · A Brief Outline of Buddhism > The Great Prophecy And Ten Perfections
- · The Jataka, Volume IV > No. 489.: Suruci-Jātaka.
- · Śrīmad Devī Bhāgavatam > ... > On the anecdote of the King Suratha
- · Fundamentals of Vipassana Meditation > Things Fall Apart
- · A Correct Vision > Happy Wayfarer
- · The Jataka, Volume III > No. 378.: Darīmukha-Jātaka.
- · The Jataka, Volume III > Index
- · Viriya Parami > Read Contents
- · Śrīmad Devī Bhāgavatam > ... > On the receiving of the boons by the King Suratha and the Vaiśya Samādhi
- · The Taittiriya Upanishad > ... > The Illumination
- · Śrīmad Devī Bhāgavatam > ... > On the King Suratha’s going to the forest
- · The Buddha and His Teachings > Nibbāna
- · The gods of northern Buddhism > The Dhyani-bodhisattva
- · The gods of northern Buddhism > Historical Personages Deified
- · Hinduism And Buddhism Vol. 1 > ... > Part 4
- · Guide to Tipitaka > ... > (a) Sagatha Vagga Samyutta Pali
- · The Mahavamsa > The Visit Of The Tathagata
» Click here to see all 27 search results in a detailed overview.