Somadatta, 3 Definition(s)
Somadatta was an ally of the Kauravas. He was a suitor to Devaki, who was the mother of Krishna. He fought with Sini, who was seeking the hand of Devaki for his friend Vasudeva. The battle was hard fought and in the end Sini emerged victorious. Devaki married Vasudeva. This incident began a bitter feud between the clan of Somadatta and the Yadavas, the clan of Sini.
1. Somadatta. The Bodhisatta born as the son of the brahmin Aggidatta (q.v.).
2. Somadatta. The younger brother of Sutasoma. He is identified with Ananda. J.v.185,192.
3. Somadatta. A brahmin. For his story see the Bhuridatta Jataka. He is identified with Ananda. J.vi.219.
4. Somadatta. An elephant calf. See the Somadatta Jataka (No. 410).
5. Somadatta - A brahmin of Savatthi. He once played dice with another brahmin, Soma, and won the latters possessions, including his upper garment and signet ring. When Soma said he could not walk home barefoot, nor face his family without his ring, Somadatta returned his winnings and the two became great friends. Somadatta was later sentenced to death for repeated adultery. When Soma discovered this he offered his life instead and was killed. He was reborn as a deva and took Somadatta to the deva world for a week, sending him back with a wish conferring gem. Later Somadatta too was born near Soma. Ras.i.46f.
|· Somadatta Jataka||
1. Somadatta Jataka (No. 211). The story of the Bodhisatta when he was born as...
1. Aggidatta - Chaplain to the King of Kosala, first to Mahakosala, and then t...
1. Soma. See Sutasoma. 2. Soma A deva to whom sacrifice is offered; he is ...
1) Kṛśāśva (कृशाश्व):—One of the two sons of Saṃyama (son of Dhūmrākṣa)...
Or Salavana, the grove of sal(teak) trees near Kusinagara, the place of the Budd...
1. Vanappavesanakhanda. The third section of the Bhuridatta Jataka, which deal...
bhūri : (f.) wisdom. (adj.), extensive; abundant.
A cemetery near Benares where Somadatta taught his father, Aggidatta, how to beh...
Bhūriśravā (भूरिश्रवा):—One of the three sons of Somadatta (son of Bāhl...
He was the Yadava warrior, who defeated Somadatta and won the hand of the pri...
Originally the name of a spell taught to an ascetic by a Garuda king who had u...
Bahlika (बाह्लिक), Dasharna (दशर्ण): States the kings of which were Kalinga, Mag...
|· Bhuridatta Jataka||
Prince Brahmadatta, son of the king of Benares, lived on the banks of the Yamu...
Bhurisravas was the son of Somadatta and a great warrior. He was the enemy of...
An Elder who possessed the knack of saying the wrong thing. He would go to a p...
- · The Jataka, Volume II > ... > No. 211. Somadatta-Jātaka
- · The Jataka, Volume III > No. 410.: Somadatta-Jātaka.
- · The Garuda Purana > ... > Description of the race of puru
- · The Mahabharata - First Book > ... > Section CXLV
- · The Narada Purana > Soudasa
- · The Mahabharata - First Book > ... > Section CLXXXVIII
- · The Mahabharata - Second Book > ... > Section XXXIV
- · The Mahabharata - Second Book > ... > Section LXXVII
- · Mahabharata > ... > The Death of Jayadratha
- · The Mahabharata - Second Book > ... > Section XXXIII
- · The Mahabharata - Second Book > ... > Section LXXIII
- · The Jataka, Volume V > No. 525.: Culla-Sutasoma-Jātaka.
- · The Mahabharata - First Book > ... > Section CXXVI
- · Mahabharata > ... > The Death of Ghatotkacha
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > Chapter XX
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > Chapter XXXV
- · The Mahabharata - First Book > ... > Section CXXXVI
- · The Mahabharata - Third Book > ... > Section CCXLVII
- · The Mahabharata - Second Book > ... > Section LXXX
- · The Mahabharata - Second Book > ... > Section LVII
» Click here to see all 52 search results in a detailed overview.