Siddhattha, 2 Definition(s)
1. Siddhattha - The sixteenth of the twenty four Buddhas. He was born in the Viriya pleasance in the city of Vebhara, his father being the khattiya Udena and his mother Suphassa. At the time of his birth all enterprises succeeded, hence his name. He lived as a householder for ten thousand years in three palaces - Koka, Suppala and Kokanuda, (Paduma) - his wife being Sumana (Somanassa) and his son Anupama. He left home in a golden palanquin, practised austerities for ten months, had milk rice given to him by a brahmin maiden, Sunetta of Asadisa, and grass for his seat by a Yavapala, Varuna. His bodhi was a kanikara, and his first sermon was preached at Gaya. The Bodhisatta was an ascetic named Mangala, of Surasena. Samphala and Sumitta were his chief disciples among monks, and Sivala and Sarama among nuns, while Revata was his attendant. Chief among his laypatrons were Suppiya and Samudda and Ramma and Suramma. His body was sixty cubits high. He lived for one hundred thousand years, and died in the Anomarama in the city of Anoma. His thupa was four leagues in height. Bu.xvii.; BuA.185ff.; J.i.49.
2. Siddhattha - The personal name of Gotama Buddha. J.i.56, 58, etc.; iv. 50, 328; vi. 479; DhA.iii.195; Dpv.iii.197; xix.18; Mhv.ii. 24, 25. In the Mtu. he is called Sarvarthasiddha.
3. Siddhattha - An eminent monk in the time of Dutthagamani. Foreseeing dangers lying ahead, he prevented the king from marking out a very large site for the Maha Thupa (Mhv.xxix.52). He was evidently at the head of the monks present at the Foundation Ceremony of the Maha Thupa. See MT. 522, 524.
4. Siddhattha - A son of King Kassapa IV. He was appointed governor of the Malaya district and came to be called Malayaraja. He died young, however, and Kassapa built a hall for the monks in his name and instituted an offering of alms. Cv.lii.68f.
5. Siddhattha - A monk of the Uposatharama, to whom King Kittisirirajasiha gave over the Rajata vihara. The monk had it repaired and had many additions made to it. Cv.c.238ff.
6. Siddhattha - One of the palaces which will be occupied by Metteyya Buddha in his last lay life. Anagat., p. 46.
7. Siddhattha. A monk of Ceylon of the thirteenth century; he was a pupil of Buddhappiya and wrote the Saratthasangaha. P.L.C. 228f.
Arjunas (hero of the Mahabharata) mighty conch was known as Devadatta, whose ...
According to Vaishnavas the Buddha incarnation was taken in order to delude t...
1. Dhatupujaka. An arahant thera. In the past he obtained a relic of Siddhatth...
Pannadayaka Pannadayaka 1. Pannadayaka Thera An arahant. In the ti...
1. Ummapupphiya Thera - An arahant. In a past birth when a festival was being ...
(see also Uttika Sutta) 1. Uttiya, Uttika - He was the son of a brahmin of Sava...
1. Gatasannaka Thera - An arahant. In the time of Tissa Buddha he joined the O...
rājinī : (f.) a queen.
An arahant. In a past birth he looked after the cell of Siddhattha Buddha and bu...
1. Arakkhadayaka Thera - An arahant. In a previous birth he built a railing (v...
An arahant Theri. Ninety four kappas ago she offered her mekhala for the restora...
Siddhārtha (सिद्धार्थ) is a Sanskrit word referring to the “white musta...
Viriya, (nt.) (fr. vīra; cp. Vedic vīrya & vīria) lit. “state of a strong man, ...
An arahant. In a previous birth be provided Siddhattha Buddha with a personal at...
Anūpama, at It.122 is metric reading for anupama (see upama). (Page 45)
- · A Brief Outline of Buddhism > Prince Siddhattha And Enlightenment
- · The Gospel of Buddha > The Buddhas Father
- · The Gospel of Buddha > The Ties of Life
- · The Gospel of Buddha > The Three Woes
- · The Gospel of Buddha > Yasodhara, The Former Wife
- · The Gospel of Buddha > The Bodhisattvas Renunciation
- · Advice To Rāhula > Introduction
- · The Gospel of Buddha > Founding The Kingdom Upaka Sees The Buddha
- · The Gospel of Buddha > The Elightenment
- · The Mahavamsa > The Race Of Mahasammata
- · A Discourse on Paticcasamuppada > ... > Dhamma Is Only For The Wise
- · A Discourse on Paticcasamuppada > ... > The False View Of Sati
- · The Gospel of Buddha > Rahula, The Son
- · The Gospel of Buddha > The Lesson Given To Rahula
- · The Dawn of the Dhamma > ... > Thus Have I Heard
- · Banner of the Arahants > Glossary Of Pali Words
- · A Discourse on Paticcasamuppada > ... > Parami And Kamma
- · The Gospel of Buddha > Conclusion
- · The Gospel of Buddha > Uruvela, Place Of Mortification
- · The Buddha and His Teachings > The Buddha From Birth to Renunciation
» Click here to see all 49 search results in a detailed overview.
- Was this explanation helpufll? Leave a comment:
Make this page a better place for research and define the term yourself in your own words.