Pure Land, 10 Definition(s)
Pure Land (Chin., ching-t’u; Jap., jōdō); in Mahāyāna the “pure lands” (also buddha-realms or buddha-paradises), each ruled over by a buddha. Since according to the Mahāyāna there are countless buddhas, countless pure lands also exist. The most important is Sukhāvatī, the pure land of the west or the western paradise, ruled by Buddha Amitābha. An eastern paradise is the pure land of Bhaishajya-guru Buddha (“Medicine Guru Buddha”). The Abhirati paradise of Buddha Akshobhya is also in the east. In the south is the paradise of Buddha Ratnaketu, in the north that of Buddha Dundubhīshvara. A further pure land will be brought forth by the future buddha Maitreya, who presently still dwells in the Tushita Heaven.
These pure lands are transcendent in nature. They are the hope of believers who wish to be reborn in them. The decisive factor here is not their good karma but rather the aid of a given buddha, who has taken the vow to help all those to rebirth in his pure land who turn to him in faith. In folk belief these paradises are geographically localizable places of bliss; however, fundamentally they stand for aspects of the awakened state of mind, and the directions (east, south, etc.) have iconographical meanings. The pure lands are not, however, the final stage on the way, but are the stage before nirvāna, which is to be realized in the ensuing rebirth. Nevertheless, in a pure land, retrogression is no longer possible.
mythical Buddhist heaven one step away from Nirvana; School(s) of Mahayana Buddhism teaching that we can be helped to enlightenment via rebirth in the Pure Land by mythical Bodhisattvas and Buddhas; a pure state of consciousness.
A realm free from suffering in which it is easier to attain nirvana; the most famous one, Sukhavati, is the Pure Land of Amitabha Buddha and requires only calling out his name in order to be reborn in it; "Pure Land Buddhism" refers to this devotion directed towards Amitabha.
A pure environment in which there are no true sufferings.
|· Pure Land Buddhism||
The form of Buddhism focuses on the Buddha Amitabha and the "Pure Land"...
|· Pure Land School||
When Mahayana Buddhism spread to China, Pure Land ideas found fertile ground for...
|· Pure Dakini Land||
See Dakini Land.
|· Three Pure Land Sutras||
Pure Land Buddhism is based on three basic sutras: a) Amitabha Sutra (or Shor...
pure : (adv.) before; formerly; earlier.
|· Pure Land of Vairocana||
The Lotus world, also the Pure Land of all Buddhas in their Sambhogakaya or Rewa...
|· Pure Land of Ultimate Bliss||
This is the Buddha Land of Amitabha Buddha. In Amitabha Sutra, there is full des...
|· Buddha Land||
The pure environment of a Buddha.
|· Saha Land||
Also called the Saha World. It refers to the land on Earth. Saha interprets as b...
|· Black Land||
The 'black land' was the fertile land on the banks of the Nile. The ancient E...
|· Dakini Land||
The Pure Land of Heruka and Vajrayogini. In Sanskrit it is called `KeajraaE and ...
|· Red Land||
The 'red land' was the barren desert that protected Egypt on two sides. These...
|· Joyful Land||
|· Majjhima Desa||0 desc.|
|· Four Pure Lands||
A classification by the Pure Land and Tien Tai schools of the pure realms subsum...
- · A Heart Released > Practice Is What Keeps The True Dhamma Pure
- · The Sutra of Queen Śrīmālā of the Lion’s Roar > The Inherently Pure
- · A Discourse on Paticcasamuppada > ... > Pure Thought And Happiness
- · The Precious Treasury of the Basic Space of Phenomena > Awakened Mind as a Pure Realm
- · The Mahayana Mahaparinirvana Sutra > ... > On Pure Actions (c)
- · Giants in the Middle East > ... > Rephaim, Land Of The
- · The Mahayana Mahaparinirvana Sutra > ... > On Pure Actions (d)
- · Nectar of Devotion > Devotional Service in Pure Love of God
- · The Mahayana Mahaparinirvana Sutra > ... > On Pure Actions (b)
- · Heimskringla > ... > Of Onund The Land-clearer
- · The Mahayana Mahaparinirvana Sutra > ... > On Pure Actions (a)
- · The Mahayana Mahaparinirvana Sutra > ... > On Pure Actions (e)
- · Buddhacarita > ... > Acceptance of the Jetavana Pure Abode
- · The Vimalakirti Nirdesa Sutra > The Buddha Land
- · Setting the Stage > Theosophy Pure And Simple
- · The Vimalakīrti Sutra > ... > Buddha Land
- · Nectar of Devotion > Characteristics of Pure Devotional Service
- · Heimskringla > ... > King Harald S Laws For Land Property
- · The Vimalakirti Nirdesa Sutra > The Buddha Of The Fragrant Land
- · Śrī Bhakti-rasāmṛta-sindhu > ... > First Wave: Qualities of Pure Bhakti
» Click here to see all 4826 search results in a detailed overview.