Preta, 9 Definition(s)
peta : (adj.) dead; departed. (m.) a ghost.
(Sanskrit preta): lit. 'departed spirit', ghost; s. loka.
M Being living in the compound of apaya worlds, situated between the world of animals and the world of hells.
Hungry Ghosts are characters from Buddhist iconography who suffer from their greed, envy and jealousy.
Hungry ghosts, who populate the second to the lowest of the six realms of existence in Mahayana Buddhism. Usually depicted as having small mouths or necks and giant stomachs, hungry ghosts experience continual frustration and unsatisfied craving.
The Sanskrit word usually translated as hungry ghost, one of the six states of existence.
Hungry ghosts. who are tormented by continual and unsatisfied cravings. The preta realm is one of the three states of woe (apaya bhumi) and one of the six realms of existence.
Pretasūtra (प्रेतसूत्र).– As is said in a sūtra, there was a preta whos...
Pretāsana (प्रेतासन) is the posture in which the yogi lies flat on his back, ...
|· Peta Vatthu||
The seventh book of the Khuddaka Nikaya. It consists of stories of persons bor...
Gosts (peta):—cf. peta, yakkha; s. loka.
|· Forty-two peaceful deities||
The forty-two peaceful deities (Tib. shyiwé lha shyé nyi; Wyl. zhi ba'i lha z...
In the Vedas, the god of the dead.
The beings born in the Kāmadhātu (Pāli: Kāmaloka; Tib: 'dod pa'i khams; Jpn: ...
|· Six Karmic Perceptions||
The six afflictions are the direct causes that propel beings into birth in on...
Ākāśagarbha Bodhisattva 虛空藏菩薩, otherwise known as Gaganagarbha, is another pr...
- · The Garuda Purana > ... > Merit of performing Sraddhas at Preta Sila
- · Bhagavad-gītā-Māhātmyam > Chapter 7
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > 17. The Gāruḍa Purāṇa
- · Verses on the Perfection of Wisdom > Chapter XXXII
- · Śrīmad Devī Bhāgavatam > ... > On the earnestness of Hariśchandra to pay off the Dakṣiṇā
- · Bodhisattva-caryāvatāra > ... > Text Section 293 / Stanza 33
- · The Garuda Purana > ... > Mode of performing Sraddhas
- · The Garuda Purana > Preface
- · Bodhisattva-caryāvatāra > ... > Text Section 201
- · Śrīmad Devī Bhāgavatam > ... > On the King Hariśchandra’s acknowledging of the slavery of the Chāṇḍāla
- · Bodhisattva-caryāvatāra > ... > Text Sections 302-306 / Stanza 36
- · Khādira-gṛhya-sūtra > Adhyāya III, Khaṇḍa 2
- · The Jataka, Volume III > No. 321.: Kuṭidūsaka-Jātaka.
- · Brihad Bhagavatamrita > ... > Verse 1.5.9
- · Śrīmad Devī Bhāgavatam > ... > On the description of the fighting of the goddesses
- · The Garuda Purana > An Account of the Eleventh-day Rite
- · Buddhacarita > Glossary
- · The Jataka, Volume V > No. 516.: Mahākapi-Jātaka.
- · Yoga Vasistha Volume 1 > ... > Description of the Battle
- · The Mahayana Mahaparinirvana Sutra > ... > On Bodhisattva Kasyapa (a)
» Click here to see all 72 search results in a detailed overview.