Pine Tree, 2 Definition(s)
Heb. tidhar, mentioned along with the fir-tree in Isaiah 41:19 ; 60:13 . This is probably the cypress; or it may be the stone-pine, which is common on the northern slopes of Lebanon. Some suppose that the elm, others that the oak, or holm, or ilex, is meant by the Hebrew word. In Nehemiah 8:15 the Revised Version has "wild olive" instead of "pine." (See FIR .)
(Heb. tamar ). Under this generic term many species are botanically included; but we have here ...
(Heb. ets shemen ). The Hebrew words occur in ( Nehemiah 8:15 ) (Authorized Version "pine branc...
This refers to the tree under which the Buddha attained enlightenment. The original tree was de...
(Heb. armon .) ( Genesis 30:37 ; Ezekiel 31:8 ) Probably the "palm tree" (Platanus orientalis )...
A species of laurel. Laurus nobilis . An evergreen, with leaves like our mountain laurel. ( Psa...
First mentioned in Genesis 3:7 . The fig-tree is mentioned ( Deuteronomy 8:8 ) as one of the va...
is frequently mentioned in Scripture. The dove from the ark brought an olive-branch to Noah ( G...
Nāga (नाग) appears once in the Śatapatha-brāhmaṇa (xi. 2, 7, 12) in the form mahānāga, where...
(Heb. teashshur), mentioned in Isaiah 60:13 ; 41:19 , was, according to some, a species of ceda...
Heb. 'armon ( Genesis 30:37 ; Ezekiel 31:8 ), rendered "chesnut" in the Authorized Version, but...
mentioned only in Luke 17:6 . It is rendered by Luther "mulberry tree" (q.v.), which is most pr...
occurs only once, via. in the Apocrypha. Ecclus. 24:16. It is the Pistacia terebinthus , terebi...
Śāla (शाल).—Type of pavillion found sculptured on the hāra (parapet of the temple);&md...
- · Rumanian Bird and Beast Stories > Why should the Oak Tree not boast?
- · Sacred Geometry - Flower of Life > Tree Of Life
- · Village Folk-tales of Ceylon Volume 1 > ... > The Margosa Tree
- · Heimskringla > ... > Of Olaf The Tree-feller
- · Rumanian Bird and Beast Stories > Why does the Thrush hide in the Tree?
- · Village Folk-tales of Ceylon Volume 1 > ... > The Golden Tree
- · Village Folk-tales of Ceylon Volume 2 > ... > The Story Of The Cake Tree
- · The Mahavamsa > The Coming Of The Bodhi-tree
- · The Mahavamsa > The Receiving Of The Great Bodhi-tree
- · Village Folk-tales of Ceylon Volume 3 > ... > The Story of the Vira Tree Fish-Owls
- · Heimskringla > ... > Olaf The Tree-feller's Death
- · A Record of Buddhistic Kingdoms > At Ceylon
- · Village Folk-tales of Ceylon Volume 2 > ... > The Story Of The Seven Yakas
- · Village Folk-tales of Ceylon Volume 1 > ... > Concerning A Man And Two Yakās
- · Rumanian Bird and Beast Stories > The Pilgrimage of the Soul after Death
- · Heimskringla > ... > Of Njord's Marriage
- · Heimskringla > ... > Of Ragnhild's Dream
- · Village Folk-tales of Ceylon Volume 2 > ... > Concerning The Crows And The Owls
- · Vedānta-sūtras Part I > ... > I, 1, 27
- · The Chaldean account of Genesis > Destruction of the Tyrant Humbaba
» Click here to see all 2364 search results in a detailed overview.
- Was this explanation helpufll? Leave a comment:
Make this page a better place for research and define the term yourself in your own words.