Neranjara, aka: Nerañjarā; 2 Definition(s)
A river. After the Enlightenment, the Buddha lived under the Ajapala Nigrodha (q.v.) at Uruvela, on the banks of this river. There Mara tempted him, and, later, Brahma persuaded him to preach the Dhamma.
Vin.i.1ff.; SN.vs.425ff.; cp. Mtu.ii.238; Lal.327 (261); S.i.103f; 122, 136ff.; v.167, 185, 232; Ud.i.1 4; ii.1; iii.10; A.ii.20f; D.ii.267.
The Commentaries say (E.g., J.i.68ff.; DhA.i.71; BuA.238) that when the Buddha, having realized the futility of austerities, left the Pancavaggiyas, he retired to Uruvela, on the banks of the Neranjara, and there, just before the Enlightenment, Sujata gave him a meal of milk rice, taking him to be a god. Before eating the food, he bathed in the ford called Suppatittha. Under the bed of the river lay the abode of the Naga king, Kala. There was a sala grove on the banks, where the Buddha spent the afternoon previous to the night of the Enlightenment.
Three explanations are given of the name: (1) Its waters are pleasant (nelam jalam assa ti = nelanjala, the r being substituted for the l); (2) it has blue water (nila jalaya ti vattabbe Neranjaraya ti vuttam); (3) it is just simply the name of the river. UdA.26f.
Nadi Kassapas hermitage was on the bank of the Neranjara (ThagA.i.45).
Neranjara is identified with the modern Nilajana, with its source in Hazaribagh, which, together with the Mohana, unites to form the river Phalgu. CAGL 524.2. Neranjara
A channel that branched northwards from the Punnavaddhana tank. Cv.lxxix.49.
1. Uruvela - A locality on the banks of the Neranjara, in the neighbourhood of...
|· Uruvela Kassapa||
One of three brothers, the Tebhatika Jatilas, living at Uruvela. He lived on t...
Gaya (गय, ‘house’) is a common word in the Rigveda, and sometimes...
|· Samvejanīya Tthāna||
'places rousing emotion', are 4: the place where the Perfect One was born, (...
Mahāvana (महावन)—One of the five forests on the eastern bank of the Yam...
|· Ajapala Nigrodha||
The Lord spent the 5th week under this tree in meditation after enlightenment...
|· Nadi Kassapa||
Brother of Uruvela Kassapa and one of the Tebhatika Jatila. He received his n...
The village in which Senani lived. It was the residence also of his daughter S...
suppatiṭṭhita : (pp.) firmly established.
1. Upasena Thera - Maternal uncle of Vijitasena Thera and brother of Sena. He ...
- · A Blessed Pilgrimage > The Site Of Shakyamunis Austerities
- · A Sketch of the Buddha's Life > ... > The Buddha Investigates
- · A Sketch of the Buddha's Life > ... > The Buddha Wonders
- · A Sketch of the Buddha's Life > ... > He Wonders
- · A Sketch of the Buddha's Life > Mara, The Personification Of Evil
- · The Gospel of Buddha > The Brahmas Request
- · The Gospel of Buddha > Uruvela, Place Of Mortification
- · The Buddha > The Great Renunciation
- · The Gospel of Buddha > The Buddha Announces His Death
- · Buddha Desana > ... > Life Of The Buddha
- · The Buddha > The Final Triumph
- · The Jataka, Volume IV > No. 498.: Citta-Sambhūta-Jātaka.
- · In Asoka’s Footsteps > The Holy Places
- · The Buddha and His Teachings > The Invitation to Expound the Dhamma
- · The Buddha and His Teachings > His Struggle for Enlightenment
» Click here to see all 15 search results in a detailed overview.
- Was this explanation helpufll? Leave a comment:
Make this page a better place for research and define the term yourself in your own words.