The Mangala Sutta is a discourse (sutta) of the Buddha on the subject of 'blessings' (mangala, also translated as 'good omen' or 'auspices' or 'good fortune'). In this discourse, the Buddha describes 'blessings' that are wholesome personal pursuits or attainments, identified in a progressive manner from the mundane to the ultimate spiritual goal. In Sri Lanka this is known as "Maha Mangala Sutta" and this sutta considered to be part of "Maha Pirith".
This discourse is recorded in Theravada Buddhism's Pali Canon's Khuddaka Nikaya in two places: in the Khuddakapāṭha (Khp 5), and in the Sutta Nipāta (Sn 2.4). In the latter source, the discourse is called the Mahāmangala Sutta. It is also traditionally included in books of 'protection' (paritta). It is also found in the Tibetan Canon, in the Kangyur (བཀའ་འགྱུར།).
Etymology: The Mangala Sutta (Burmese: မင်္ဂလသုတ် Mingala thoke, Thai: มงคลสูตร, Khmer: មង្គលសូត្រ mongkhol sut, Sanskrit "mahāmaṅgalasūtra", "महामङ्गलसूत्र", Tibetan "བཀྲ་ཤིས་ཆེན་པོའི་མདོ།")
The Maṅgala Sutta is found in the Suttanipāta. An excellent translation by Venerable Dr Hammalawa Saddhātissa, published by Curzon Press, is available from Wisdom Books. The Suttanipāta contains the three most popular Paritta Suttas: Metta Sutta, Maṅgala Sutta, and Ratana Sutta, and many other important Suttas, such as the Kasībhāradvāja Sutta, Parābhava Sutta, Vasala Sutta, Salla Sutta, and Vāseṭṭha Sutta.
- FIND THE MEANING OF THIS ITEM IN OTHER TEXT:Search found: 2351 related definition(s) for 'Mangala Sutta'.
Below are the 15 most popular ones:
|· Vajjiputta Sutta||
1. Contains the story of the discontent of Vajjiputta (1). S.i.201f. 2. Vesali ...
Sutta means a discourse of the Buddha. The Sutras (Sanskrit; Pali Sutta) are ...
means, in general usage, anything regarded as 'auspicious' 'lucky', or a 'good o...
|· Metta Sutta||
Buddhist scripture which describes the nature of loving kindness.
|· Bhikkhu Sutta||
1. Bhikkhu Sutta. A monk who knows decay and death, birth, becoming, grasping...
|· Ratana Sutta||
1. Ratana Sutta One of the suttas of the Khuddakapatha. It is also included in ...
|· Sanna Sutta||
1. Sanna Sutta. The thought of foulness, death, peril, cloying of food, distas...
|· Samadhi Sutta||
1. Samadhi Sutta. One who is concentrated is one who knows as it really is the...
|· Satipatthana Sutta||
The Discourse on the Basis of Mindfulness, a fundamental Buddhist scripture desc...
|· Anicca Sutta||
1. Anicca Sutta (see also Yadanicca Sutta) - Preached at Savatthi; all khandhas ...
|· Appamada Sutta||
1. Appamada Sutta (2) - Preached to Pasenadi. Diligence is the one quality that ...
|· Ananda Sutta||
1. Ananda Sutta - Preached by Ananda to Vangisa. Once as they were going togethe...
|· Khaggavisana Sutta||
The third sutta of the Uraga Vagga of the Sutta Nipata (SN.vv.35-75), consisti...
|· Tanha Sutta||
1. Tanha Sutta - On the one hundred and eight thoughts of craving - thirty six...
|· Nidana Sutta||
1. Nidana Sutta The three means by which deeds are heaped up: greed, hatred a...
Below are the most relevant:
|· The Book of Protection > ... > Discourse On Blessings||Buddhism|
|· Advice To Rāhula > Rāhula Sutta||Buddhism|
|· The Vipassana Dipani > Nakhasikha Sutta||Buddhism|
|· Metta > The Background To The Metta Sutta||Buddhism|
|· The Life of Sariputta > ... > Cunda Sutta||Buddhism|
|· The Vipassana Dipani > Kanakacchapa-sutta||Buddhism|
|· The Samaññaphala Sutta > Samaññaphala Sutta||Buddhism|
|· The Dawn of the Dhamma > The Sutta||Buddhism|
|· Transcendental Dependent Arising > Upanisa Sutta||Buddhism|
|· The Life of Sariputta > ... > Ukkacela Sutta||Buddhism|
|· The Madhura Sutta > The Madhura Sutta||Buddhism|
|· Transcendental Dependent Arising > An Exposition Of The Upanisa Sutta||Buddhism|
|· Metta > The Karaniya Metta Sutta||Buddhism|
|· The Brahmajāla Sutta > Introduction to the Brahma-Jāla Sutta||Buddhism|
|· The Life of Sariputta > ... > Majjhima Nikaya||Buddhism|
» Click here to see all 478 search results in a detailed overview.