Kumbhakarna, aka: Kumbhakarṇa; 3 Definition(s)
1) Kumbhakarna is a rakshasa and brother of Ravana in the Indian Ramayana epic. Despite his monstrous size and great hunger, he was described to be of good character, though he killed and ate many Hindu monks just to show his power. Kumbhakarna had two sons, Kumbha and Nikumbha, who too fought in the war against Rama and were killed.
2) Kumbhakarna (कुम्भकर्ण): Brother of Ravana, King of Lanka, who was asleep most of the time because of the curse of Brahma.
etymology: Kumbhakarna (Telugu: కుంభకర్ణ/కుంభకర్ణుడు Kumbhakarṇa/kumbhakarṇudu,Tamil: கும்பகருணன் Kumbakarunan, Sanskrit: कुम्भकर्ण Kumbhakarṇa, Malay: Kumbakarna, Indonesian: Kumbhakarno, Burmese: Kumbikhanna, Thai: Kumphakan)
Kumbhakarna was the brother of King Ravana of Lanka. Ravana, Kumbhakarna, Vibhishana were the sons of a sage named Vishrava, born to a Rakshasa woman named Kaikasi. They had a sister named Shurpanakha. Kubera is their half-brother, born to another wife of Vishrava.
He was a giant in stature, and consumed huge amounts of food when he was awake. One of the most powerful warriors on Ravana's side, he was also very knowledgeable about proper conduct. Like his brother Vibhishana, he counselled Ravana to return Sita to Rama to avert the war, but unlike Vibhishana, he did not abandon Ravana when his advice was rejected.
He fought valiantly against the Vanara army of Rama, causing great damage. Ultimately, he was slain by Laxmana with the help of a divine missile. Though he fought on the side of evil, his devotion to Ravana and his loyalty to his kinsmen is highly praised, and is contrasted favorably with the "treachery" of his brother Vibhishana, who fought on Rama's side.
Shurpanakha was the sister of Ravana, the Asura king of Lanka. Their father w...
Vibhishana was the younger brother of Ravana, the king of Lanka. Kumbhakarna ...
Pulastya was one of the ten Prajapati or mind-born sons of Brahma, and one of...
- · The Brahma Purana > Kubera
- · The Mahabharata - Third Book > ... > Section CCLXXXV
- · Brihad Bhagavatamrita > ... > Verse 1.5.16-17
- · The Mahabharata - Third Book > ... > Section CCLXXXIV
- · The Mahabharata - Third Book > ... > Section CCLXXXVI
- · The Mahabharata - Third Book > ... > Section CCLXXIII
- · The Mahabharata - Third Book > ... > Section CCIII
- · The Mahabharata - Third Book > ... > Section CCLXXVIII
- · Śrīmad Devī Bhāgavatam > ... > On the Devī’s Highest Supremacy
- · Śrīmad Devī Bhāgavatam > ... > On Devakī’s marriage
- · The Garuda Purana > ... > Enumeration of one thousand epithets of Vishnu
- · The Laṅkāvatāra Sūtra > Ravana, Lord of Lanka, Asks for Instruction
- · Chaitanya's Life and Teachings > The Pilgrimage to the South
- · Bhagavan Baba on Namasmarana > Namasmarana
» Click here to see all 14 search results in a detailed overview.