Kapi Jataka, aka: Kapi jātaka; 2 Definition(s)
1. Kapi Jataka (No.250) - Once when the Bodhisatta was living the ascetic life in the Himalaya, his wife having died, a monkey came in the rainy weather to the hermitage clad in an anchorites robe which he had found in the forest. The Bodhisatta recognised the monkey and drove him away.
The story was told in reference to a hypocritical brother. J.ii.268ff
2. Kapi Jataka (No.404) - Once the Bodhisatta and Devadatta were both born as monkeys. One day a mischievous monkey took his seat on the arch which was over the gateway to the park and, when the kings chaplain passed under the arch, he let excrement fall on his head, and, on the chaplain looking up, even into his mouth. The chaplain swore vengeance on the monkeys, and the Bodhisatta, hearing of it, counseled them to seek residence elsewhere. His advice was followed by all except the monkey, who was Devadatta, and a few of his followers. Sometime after, the kings elephants were burnt through a fire breaking out in their stalls. A goat had eaten some rice put out to dry and was beaten with a torch; his hair caught fire and the fire spread to the stalls. The chaplain, seizing his opportunity, told the elephant doctors that the best remedy for burns was monkey fat, and five hundred monkeys in the royal gardens were slain by archers for the sake of their fat.
The story was told in reference to Devadatta being swallowed up by the earth. J.iii.355f; cp. Kaka Jataka.
3. Kapi Jataka - See the Maha kapi Jataka.
The sutra to narrate the birth stories of Shakyamuni in present life, past lives...
Son of Kotuhalaka and his wife Kali. When his parents fled from Ajitarattha to K...
|· Indriya Jataka||
Once an ascetic named Narada, younger brother of Kaladevala, became a disciple...
|· Gijjha Jataka||
1. Gijjha Jataka (No.164) - Once the Bodhisatta was born among the vultures on...
|· Vattaka Jataka||
1. Vattaka Jataka (No. 35). The Bodhisatta was once born as a quail, and befor...
|· Jataka Parijata||
Jataka Parijata is an ancient astrological classic that is ranked alongside B...
|· Ghata Jataka||
1. Ghata Jataka (No.355) - The story of Ghatakumara (q.v.). It was related in ...
|· Catuposathika Jataka||
This is given as the title of the four hundred and forty first Jataka and it i...
|· Aditta Jataka||
Once the Bodhisatta was born as Bharata, King of Roruva, in the country of Sov...
|· Kukkura Jataka||
1. Kukkura Jataka (No 22) - Because his carriage straps, left in the rain, are...
|· Kacchapa Jataka||
1. Kacchapa Jataka (No. 178) - The story of a tortoise who would not leave the...
|· Kaka Jataka||
1. Kaka Jataka (No.140) - The Bodhisatta was once born as a crow. One day a cr...
|· Samugga Jataka||
The Bodhisatta was once an ascetic of great iddhi power. Near his hut lived an...
|· Sigala Jataka||
1. Sigala Jataka (No.113). The people of Benares once held a sacrifice to the ...
|· Tittira Jataka||
1. Tittira Jataka (No.37) - There were once three friends, a partridge (tittir...
- · The Jataka, Volume II > ... > No. 250. Kapi-Jātaka
- · The Jataka, Volume III > No. 404.: Kapi-Jātaka.
- · The Jataka, Volume III > No. 350.: Devatāpañha-Jātaka.
- · The Jataka, Volume I > ... > No. 8. Gāmani-Jātaka
- · The Jataka, Volume II > ... > No. 192. Siri-Kāḷakaṇṇi-Jātaka
- · The Jataka, Volume I > ... > No. 101. Parosata-Jātaka
- · The Jataka, Volume I > ... > No. 9. Makhādeva-Jātaka
- · Guide to Tipitaka > ... > Jataka Pali
- · The Jataka, Volume I > ... > No. 88. Sārambha-Jātaka
- · The Jataka, Volume I > ... > No. 52. Cūḷa-Janaka-Jātaka
- · The Jataka, Volume I > ... > No. 106. Udañcani-Jātaka
- · The Jataka, Volume I > ... > No. 7. Kaṭṭhahāri-Jātaka
- · The Jataka, Volume I > ... > No. 82. Mittavinda-Jātaka
- · The Jataka, Volume I > ... > No. 11. Lakkhaṇa-Jātaka
- · The Jataka, Volume I > ... > No. 116. Dubbaca-Jātaka
- · The Jataka, Volume I > ... > No. 19. Āyācitabhatta-Jātaka
- · The Jataka, Volume II > ... > No. 184. Giridanta-Jātaka
- · The Jataka, Volume I > ... > No. 117. Tittira-Jātaka
- · The Jataka, Volume I > ... > No. 22. Kukkura-Jātaka
- · The Jataka, Volume I > ... > No. 145. Rādha-Jātaka
» Click here to see all 772 search results in a detailed overview.