Hetuka, 5 Definition(s)
hetu : (m.) cause; reason; condition.
-- or --
hetuka : (adj.) connected with a cause.
A root (hetu or mula) gives a firm support to the citta and cetasikas it arises together with.
'cause', condition, reason; (Abhidhamma) root-condition. In sutta usage it is almost synonymous with paccaya, 'condition', and often occurs together with it ('What is the cause, what is the condition', ko hetu ko paccayo).
In Abhidhamma, it denotes the wholesome and unwholesome roots (mūla, q.v.). In that sense, as 'root-condition' (hetu-paccaya; s. paccaya), it is the first of the 24 conditions given in the introduction to the Patthāna (s. Guide, p. 117). The Dhs (1052-1082) and Patthāna (Duka-patth; Guide, p. 144) have sections on roots (hetu). - The term is also used (a) for the classification of consciousness, as sa-hetuka and a-hetuka, with and without concomitant root-conditions; (b) for a division of rebirth consciousness into ahetuka, dvihetuka and tihetuka, without, with 2, or with 3 root-conditions (s. patisandhi).
Ahetuka-ditthi, the false view of the uncausedness of existence; s. ditthi.
Hetuka or roots are:
- adosa, and
|· Dvi Hetuka Patisandhi||
|· Kama Jataka||
Brahmadatta, king of Benares, had two sons. When he died the elder refused the...
|· Asobhana Citta||
Part of Kamavacara Cittas. There are 30 asobhana cittas or non beautiful cittas...
Consciousness; cognizance; the act of taking note of sense data and ideas as ...
|· Nidana Samyutta||
The twelfth section of the Samyutta Nikaya. S.ii.1 133.
Aversion; hatred; anger. One of three unwholesome roots (mula) in the mind.
Citta is derived from the PaIi word for thinking (cinteti). All cittas have in c...
|· Kama Sutta||
1. Kama Sutta The first of the Atthakavagga of the Sutta Nipata. The Buddha, s...
T Sensuous pleasure.
nidāna : (nt.) source; cause; origin.
1. Anga. (See also Anga) - One of the stock list of the sixteen Powers or Grea...
|· Nidana Vagga||
The second division of the Samyutta Nikaya. Vol.II. of the P.T.S. Edition.
- · A Survey of Paramattha Dhammas > ... > Roots
- · The Garuda Purana > ... > Adoration of the deity presiding over homesteads (Vastu)
- · A Survey of Paramattha Dhammas > ... > Sobhana And Asobhana
- · A Manual of Abhidhamma > ... > 18 Types of Rootless Consciousness
- · A Manual of Abhidhamma > ... > Summary of Roots
- · A Manual of Abhidhamma > ... > Beautiful Consciousness of the Sensuous Sphere
- · Patthana Dhamma > Citta
- · Abhidhamma In Daily Life > ... > Dana
- · Śrī Bhakti-rasāmṛta-sindhu > Introduction
- · The Laṅkāvatāra Sūtra > Introduction
- · Śrī Bhakti-rasāmṛta-sindhu > ... > Second Wave: Devotional Service In Practice
» Click here to see all 11 search results in a detailed overview.