Cetana Sutta, aka: Cetanā sutta; 2 Definition(s)
1. Cetana Sutta - That which we will and intend to do and with which we are occupied, that becomes an object (arammana) for the persistence of consciousness (vinnana). The object being there, there comes to be a station of consciousness. Consciousness being stationed and growing, there is renewed existence with all its consequent ills. S.ii.65f.
2. Cetana Sutta - Same as above, with name and form substituted for rebirth, and the other factors of the paticca samuppada following there from. S.ii.66.
3. Cetana Sutta - Same as (1), except that consciousness, being stationed and growing, there comes a bending (nati) followed, serially, by a going to a coming (agatigati), decease, rebirth, etc. S.ii.66f.
4. Cetana Sutta - Volitioned acts occasioned by form, sound, etc., are impermanent. S.iv.227.
5. Cetana Sutta - The arising of volitional acts is the appearing of decay and death; their cessation, its cessation. S.iii.230.
6. Cetana Sutta - The desire and lust that is in will, concerning shape, etc., is corruption of the heart. S.iii.233.
7. Cetana Sutta - Preached to Ananda. Rebirth is due to intention (cetana) and aspiration (patthana) being established in a lower element because of ignorance. A.i.224.
8. Cetana Sutta - Where there is action of body, speech or mind, there arises pleasure or pain caused by intention (cetana). This is due to ignorance; when ignorance is destroyed, there is no field or base for such action. A.ii.157f.
9. Cetana Sutta - In a monk possessed of good conduct spiritual life proceeds spontaneously, not intentionally. A.v.2f.
10. Cetana Sutta - The same, in substance, as (9). A.v.312f.
1) Sutta, 2 (nt.) (Vedic sūtra, fr. sīv to sew) 1. a thread, string D. I, 76; II, 13; Vin. II...
Cetanā, (f. abstr. fr. cet, see cinteti) state of ceto in action, thinking as active thought, i...
Kāḷa-sutta a black thread or wire, a carpenter’s measuring line J. II, 405; Miln. 413...
The Maṅgala Sutta is found in the Suttanipāta. An excellent translation by Venerable Dr ­...
Metta, (adj. nt.) (cp. Vedic maitra “belonging to Mitra”; Epic Sk. maitra “friendly, ” fr. mit...
yuganaddha : (adj.) congruous; harmonious; connected to a yoke.
Deva, (Ved. deva, Idg. *deịā to shine (see dibba & diva), orig. adj. *deiǔos belonging to the s...
1) Ratana, 2 (most likely=Sk. aratni: see ratani) a linear measure (which Abhp p. 23 gives as e...
Bhikkhu, (cp. later Sk. bhikṣu, fr. bhikṣ) an almsman, a mendicant, a Buddhist monk or priest, ...
Saññā, (f.) (fr. saṃ+jñā) (pl. saññāyo and saññā — e.g. M. I, 108) 1. sense, consciousness, per...
Samādhi, (fr. saṃ+ā+dhā) 1. concentration; a concentrated, self-collected, intent state of min...
Appamāda, (a + pamāda) thoughtfulness, carefulness, conscientiousness, watchfulness, vigilance,...
Sīla, (nt.) (cp. Sk. śīla. It is interesting to note that the Dhtp puts down a root sīl in mean...
Ānanda, (Vedic ānanda, fr. ā + nand, cp. BSk. ānandī joy Divy 37) joy, pleasure, bliss, delight...
Suddhika, (adj.) (suddhi+ka) 1. connected with purification Dhs. 519—522; udaka-s. pure by use...
- · Abhidhamma In Daily Life > ... > Cetana
- · Advice To Rāhula > Rāhula Sutta
- · The Vipassana Dipani > Nakhasikha Sutta
- · Metta > The Background To The Metta Sutta
- · The Life of Sariputta > ... > Cunda Sutta
- · The Vipassana Dipani > Kanakacchapa-sutta
- · The Buddha and His Teachings > Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
- · The Samaññaphala Sutta > Samaññaphala Sutta
- · The Dawn of the Dhamma > The Sutta
- · The Madhura Sutta > The Madhura Sutta
- · The Life of Sariputta > ... > Ukkacela Sutta
- · Transcendental Dependent Arising > Upanisa Sutta
- · Transcendental Dependent Arising > An Exposition Of The Upanisa Sutta
- · Metta > The Karaniya Metta Sutta
- · The Brahmajāla Sutta > Introduction to the Brahma-Jāla Sutta
- · Cetasikas > ... > Volition
- · The Life of Sariputta > ... > Majjhima Nikaya
- · The Book of Protection > ... > Discourse On Loving-kindness
- · The Book of Protection > ... > Discourse On Downfall
- · The Book of Protection > ... > The Jewel Discourse
» Click here to see all 556 search results in a detailed overview.
- Was this explanation helpufll? Leave a comment:
Make this page a better place for research and define the term yourself in your own words.