Atum, aka: Atem, Tem; 4 Definition(s)
The primeval Egyptian sun god and creator of the world. He is the evening aspect of the sun, representing the setting sun. Later he was syncretized with Re as the god Atum-Re. According to the myths, he was the first substance (a hill) who emerged from the primeval waters. Amut created the deities Shu and Tefnut from his spittle or from his semen in the act of masturbation.
Atum was especially worshipped at Heliopolis, where he was the head of the Ennead cult. He was represented by the black bull Mnewer, who bore the sun disk and uraeus between its horns. As the father of the pharaoh, he played an important part in the coronation rites. Atum was depicted as old man symbolizing the setting sun, but he also appeared also a snake, a scarab, and a mangust (pharaoh hat). The snake, bull, lion, lizard and ichneumon are his sacred animals.
The Memphite creation myth stated that Atum was conceived in the heart of Ptah and was created by his word. Literally, "he who completes, or perfects".
The self-engendered solar creator god Atum (meaning "the All" or the "Complete One").
Atum was one of the most important deity. He was known for lifting the dead king's soul from his pyramid to the heavens.
He is depicted as a man wearing either the royal head-cloth or the white and red crown of upper and lower Egypt.
He was the first god and he created himself by emerging out of the darkness and endless watery abyss that girdled the world before creation.
Tefnut was a primeval Egyptian goddess. She was depicted as both a snake ...
lit: "City of the Sun"; Heliopolis was one of the oldest cities...
The Sun God;
In Egyptian mythology, Apep was an evil god, the deification of darkness and ...
lit: "a collection of nine things" The Ennead were a group of nine de...
Shu was an air god who supported the sky, was the son of the sun god Atum. Af...
Under the form "Pithom" the sacred name of the city Pa-Pa-Ȧtemt is ...
Seker is a falcon god; He was usually depicted as a mummified hawk. Seke...
The Egyptian texts prove that besides Nefer-Tem another son of Ptaḥ called I-...
The brother-in-law to Amenhotep III, 'Aanen', was for a long time Second Prop...
The chief god of Memphis.
The Egyptian personification of supernatural powers attributed to the gods. H...
|· Bow and Arrow||
Bows and arrows have been present in Egyptian culture since it's predynastic ...
Attan，（m．） & atta （the latter is the form used in compn．） (Vedic ātman，not to Gr...
- · The Book Of The Victory Over Seth > ... > 5. Geb Appoints Horus As Heir
- · The Book Of The Victory Over Seth > ... > 8. Spitting At The Figurine In The Fire
- · The Book Of The Victory Over Seth > ... > 3. Seth's Misdeeds In The Sites Of Egypt
- · The Literature of the Ancient Egyptians > The Egyptian Story Of The Creation
- · Ancient Egypt the Light of the World > Egyptian Wisdom In The Revelation Of John The Divine
- · Ancient Egypt the Light of the World > Egyptian Wisdom And The Hebrew Genesis
- · Ancient Egypt the Light of the World > The Exodus From Egypt And The Desert Of Amenta
- · Ancient Egypt the Light of the World > The Egyptian Wisdom In Other Jewish Writings
- · The Gods of the Egyptians Vol 1 > Rā, The Sun-god, And His Forms
- · Ancient Egypt the Light of the World > Elemental And Ancestral Spirits, Or The Gods And The Glorified
- · Ancient Egypt the Light of the World > Egyptian Book Of The Dead And The Mysteries Of Amenta
- · Ancient Egypt the Light of the World > The Sign-language Of Astronomical Mythology - Part 2
- · The Gods of the Egyptians Vol 1 > Primitive Gods And Nome-gods
- · Ancient Egypt the Light of the World > Totemism, Tattoo And Fetishism As Forms Of Sign-language
- · Ancient Egypt the Light of the World > The Ark, The Deluge, And The World's Great Year
- · Ancient Egypt the Light of the World > The Jesus-legend Traced In Egypt For Ten Thousand Years
- · Ancient Egypt the Light of the World > Sign-language And Mythology As Primitive Modes Of Representation
- · Ancient Egypt the Light of the World > The Sign-language Of Astronomical Mythology - Part 1
- · The Ocean of Story Volume 1 > Sacred Prostitution
» Click here to see all 19 search results in a detailed overview.