Appamada Sutta, aka: Appamāda sutta; 2 Definition(s)
1. Appamada Sutta (2) - Preached to Pasenadi. Diligence is the one quality that acquires and keeps welfare both in this life and in the next; just as the elephants foot is chief among all feet, so is diligence the best of qualities. S.i.86, 87.
2. Appamada Sutta - Diligence must be practiced by those who know not the nature of birth, becoming, etc. S.ii.132.
3. Appamada Sutta (2) - Diligence is the harbinger of the arising of the Ariyan Eightfold Way. S.v.30, 32.
4. Appamada Sutta (2) - Diligence is most useful for the arising of the Ariyan Eightfold Way (S.v.33); there is no other single condition like it for the arising and perfection of the Way. S.v.35, 36, 37.
5. Appamada Sutta - On four occasions on which earnestness should be applied. A.ii.119f.
6. Appamada Sutta - Preached in answer to a brahmins question. Earnestness is a quality which, if developed, brings success both in this world and in the next (A.iii.364).
7. Appamada Sutta - Same as Aparihaniya Sutta (2), with the addition of samadhigaravata (A.iv.27f).
8. Appamada Sutta - Earnestness is the best and highest of all qualities. A.v.21f.
9. Appamada Sutta - The name given in the Sutta Sangaha to a sutta quoted from the Itivuttaka on the value of appamada. Itv.16.
1) Sutta, 2 (nt.) (Vedic sūtra, fr. sīv to sew) 1. a thread, string D. I, 76; II, 13; Vin. II...
Appamāda, (a + pamāda) thoughtfulness, carefulness, conscientiousness, watchfulness, vigilance,...
Kāḷa-sutta a black thread or wire, a carpenter’s measuring line J. II, 405; Miln. 413...
The Maṅgala Sutta is found in the Suttanipāta. An excellent translation by Venerable Dr ­...
Metta, (adj. nt.) (cp. Vedic maitra “belonging to Mitra”; Epic Sk. maitra “friendly, ” fr. mit...
yuganaddha : (adj.) congruous; harmonious; connected to a yoke.
Deva, (Ved. deva, Idg. *deịā to shine (see dibba & diva), orig. adj. *deiǔos belonging to the s...
1) Ratana, 2 (most likely=Sk. aratni: see ratani) a linear measure (which Abhp p. 23 gives as e...
Bhikkhu, (cp. later Sk. bhikṣu, fr. bhikṣ) an almsman, a mendicant, a Buddhist monk or priest, ...
Saññā, (f.) (fr. saṃ+jñā) (pl. saññāyo and saññā — e.g. M. I, 108) 1. sense, consciousness, per...
Samādhi, (fr. saṃ+ā+dhā) 1. concentration; a concentrated, self-collected, intent state of min...
Ānanda, (Vedic ānanda, fr. ā + nand, cp. BSk. ānandī joy Divy 37) joy, pleasure, bliss, delight...
Sīla, (nt.) (cp. Sk. śīla. It is interesting to note that the Dhtp puts down a root sīl in mean...
Suddhika, (adj.) (suddhi+ka) 1. connected with purification Dhs. 519—522; udaka-s. pure by use...
Cetanā, (f. abstr. fr. cet, see cinteti) state of ceto in action, thinking as active thought, i...
- · Advice To Rāhula > Rāhula Sutta
- · The Vipassana Dipani > Nakhasikha Sutta
- · Metta > The Background To The Metta Sutta
- · The Life of Sariputta > ... > Cunda Sutta
- · The Vipassana Dipani > Kanakacchapa-sutta
- · The Buddha and His Teachings > Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
- · The Samaññaphala Sutta > Samaññaphala Sutta
- · The Dawn of the Dhamma > The Sutta
- · Transcendental Dependent Arising > Upanisa Sutta
- · The Madhura Sutta > The Madhura Sutta
- · The Life of Sariputta > ... > Ukkacela Sutta
- · Transcendental Dependent Arising > An Exposition Of The Upanisa Sutta
- · Metta > The Karaniya Metta Sutta
- · The Brahmajāla Sutta > Introduction to the Brahma-Jāla Sutta
- · The Life of Sariputta > ... > Majjhima Nikaya
- · The Book of Protection > ... > Discourse On Loving-kindness
- · The Book of Protection > ... > Discourse On Downfall
- · The Book of Protection > ... > The Jewel Discourse
- · The Doctrine of Paticcasamuppada > Sakkayaditthi & How It Arises
- · The Book of Protection > ... > Discourse To Girimananda Thera
» Click here to see all 466 search results in a detailed overview.
- Was this explanation helpufll? Leave a comment:
Make this page a better place for research and define the term yourself in your own words.