Abhimanyu, 2 Definition(s)
Abhimanyu was the the son of Arjuna and Subhadra, the sister of Krishna. When he was still in his womb, he listened to his father talk about war to his mother. This was how he learned the method for breaking into the Chakra-Vyuha. This formation was very difficult to pierce and the method for countering it was known to very few. Abhimanyu never learned how to break out of it, for Krishna interrupted Arjuna at this moment, and the subject was dropped.
He was only sixteen years old when the battle of Kurukshetra was fought. While his father Arjuna had been lured away to fight the Shamsapthakas (100 warriors who had sworn either to kill Arjuna or die trying), Drona had arrayed the Kaurava army in the Chakra-Vyuha, attempting to win the battle by capturing the Pandava king Yudhishtra. In desperation, for no one other than Arjuna or Abhimanyu could break this formation, the Pandava warriors asked the young prince to lead them.
Uttara (उत्तर) is a Sanskrit technical term referring to “architrave” (the ...
Subhadra (सुभद्र) is a Sanskrit technical term referring to a variety of maṇḍapa (halls atta...
Arjuna (अर्जुन) is a Sanskrit word, identified with Terminalia arjuna (arjun tree) by variou...
Parīkṣit (परीक्षित्).—The son of Abhimanyu and grandson of Arjuna. When the Pāṇḍavas r...
1) Lakṣmaṇa (लक्ष्मण).—A very brave son of Duryodhana. He was killed by Abhimanyu duri...
The last king in the dynasty of Ikṣvāku will be Sumitra; after Sumitra there will be no more...
1a) Saindhava (सैन्धव).—The king of Sindhu country could not defeat Arjuna supported by K...
Sudeṣṇā (सुदेष्णा).—The wife of King Virāṭa. Draupadī spent the last year of exile as ...
Jayadratha (जयद्रथ):—Son of Bṛhatkāya (son of Bṛhaddhanu). He had a son who was called...
Yuyutsu (युयुत्सु).—A son of Dhṛtarāṣṭra by a Vaiśya wife. He took the side of the Pāṇ...
It was two Ikshvaku princes, Asmaka and Mulaka, who founded the two contiguous kingdoms, bea...
One of the ten names assigned to Arjuna, the Hindu hero of the Mahabharata. Meaning of the n...
1a) Bṛhadbala (बृहद्बल).—The last of the Ikṣvākus; son of Takṣaka and father of Bṛhadraṇa...
Cakravyūha (चक्रव्यूह).—A formation of soldiers in the form of a cakra. This formation...
Brihatbala (बृहत्बल): A daring warrior who charged at Abhimanyu caught in the Kaurava army's ne...
- · Parables of Rama > ... > The sad plight of Abhimanyu in Mahabharata
- · Mahabharata > ... > The Thirteenth Day at Kurukshetra; The Death of Abhimanyu
- · Brihad Bhagavatamrita > ... > Verse 1.5.53
- · Brihad Bhagavatamrita > ... > Verse 1.5.90
- · The Mahabharata - Fourth Book > ... > Section LXXII
- · Nectar of Devotion > Laughing Ecstasy
- · Brihad Bhagavatamrita > ... > Verse 1.4.84
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > Shantanu And Devapi
- · Mahabharata > ... > The Eleventh Day of Rivalry; Dronacharya Becomes Commander
- · The Garuda Purana > ... > Description of the race of puru
- · The Vishnu Purana > ... > Chapter XX
- · Mahabharata > ... > The First Day of Combat: Duryodhana Gains the Upper Hand
- · The Mahabharata - Third Book > ... > Section CCXXXIII
- · Nectar of Devotion > Reverential Devotion of Sons and other Subordinates
- · Mahabharata > ... > The Fifth and Sixth Days of the Great Battle
- · Śrīmad Devī Bhāgavatam > ... > On shewing the departed ones
- · Nectar of Devotion > Indirect Expressions of Ecstatic Love
- · Mahabharata > ... > The Ninth Day of the Great Battle; The Invincible Bhishma
- · Mahabharata > ... > Arjuna Vows to Kill Jayadratha
- · Mahabharata > ... > The Fourth Day of the Great Rivalry; Bhima Kills Eight of Dhritarastra's Sons
» Click here to see all 70 search results in a detailed overview.
- Was this explanation helpufll? Leave a comment:
Make this page a better place for research and define the term yourself in your own words.