Chapter 6 - Nine Ways To Sharpen The Mental Faculties
- Sub-Contents: (+ / -)
The Five Mental Faculties of a meditator are saddha, viriya, sati, samadhi, and panna: These five are known as Pancindriya (panca means five, indriya means faculties) as well as Pancabala (Five Mental Powers).
- Saddha means faith with right understanding or through right understanding.
- Viriya means strenuous effort or energy.
- Sati means mindfulness or sustained, constant mindfulness.
- Samadhi means deep concentration.
- Panna means wisdom, insight or enlightenment.
For meditation, these Five Mental Faculties must be strong, powerful and balanced as stated in the commentary on the Visuddhimagg a.. Saddha must be firm and unwavering, and sati must be powerful and strong samadhi must be deep and panna must be penetrating.