Part 4 - Condition For Sufficiency And Condition For Deficiency
Prosperity (sampatti) And Misfortune (vipatti)
- Sub-Contents: (+ / -)
If conditions are sufficient and at hand it is called sampatti. When conditions are deficient is called vipatti. Throughout samsara, in the course of numerous existences, every sentient being has done many deeds, kamma, accumulating countless mental impulsions (javana citta) which must produce effects in the future. They do not lie out and perish without results, but wait till suitable conditions arise for its working out in some future life time.
There are four conditions of sufficiency (sampatti), as well as four conditions of deficiency (vipatti), for all beings in samsara (their cycles of existences). In sampatti conditions kusala kamma has the opportunity to produce good results whereas in vipatti conditions akusala kamma plays a leading role in produce bad effects.
The Four Sampatti Conditions
- Gati sampatti (being reborn in a good plane of existence)
- Upadhi sampatti (having pleasant physical features)
- Kala sampatti (being reborn at a suitable time)
- Payoga sampatti (having means or instruments knowledge, diligence)
The Four Vipatti Conditions
- Gati vipatti (being reborn in a woeful plane of existence)
- Upadhi vipatti (having unpleasant physical features)
- Kala vipatti (being reborn at unsuitable time)
- Payoga vipatti (having no means of instruments knowledge, diligence)